What kind of oak is still hanging on to its leaves?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Hunter8282

Mar 14, 2024
Michigan
20240407_162348.jpg

I have a hand full of these smaller oaks that still have a ton of crispy brown leaves. They are smaller trees but just curious of the varity.

Some oaks don't shed their leaves until spring. It's easier to ID them with the new leaves.

Some of our red oaks still have their leaves on their lower limbs. It's known as "marcescence", just like how beech keep theirs over winter. From the pointy lobes looks like it's in the red oak family.

The above. And I add that it's not only the bottom branches but also younger trees that have a higher tendency to do so.

Yep. At my last house two of my neighbors had four very large pin oaks in their yard between them. All the leaves on them blew off slowly through the winter and piled up behind my garage door. When the trees leafed out in the spring they finally pushed the last of the old leaves off for one final deposit behind my house. I hated those trees.

• Haha
Reactions: Hunter8282
Particularly young oaks, I've noticed are stubborn about dropping the old leaves. American Beech is the same way.

Hoping they are white oak! Good for the deer and turkeys once they start producing. I'll try to get some pics of the new buds and leaves as they come out.

Generally speaking white oak has rounded points on the leaf lobes and red oak has pointed ones. Hard to tell from this picture but I am leaning toward red.

Reactions: AstroBoy