what kind of oak wood smells of spice when drying warming in front of hot stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

donatello

Nov 8, 2007
Connecticut
I like to have a few splits of oak in front of my fireplace insert (approx.1 1/2 ft.away) to get it a bit dryer before tossing it in. There was an awesome spiced aroma in the room which I found coming from a split of oak. I am trying to identify that species. Any idea. It's definitely not red oak. Somewhat thin bark, approx. 1/16 - 1/8" thick. Maybe Pin or White? IMG_2687.JPG

Only wood I could think of was sassafras.
But an oak type ? ? Don't know.

Dont know of any Oak with that thin of bark,even 2-3" thick branches are normally 1/4" or a bit more.

roasted garlic ?

Some oak branches have thinner bark. Not sure about the spice.
Like Old Spice or nutmeg?

White oak has that nice vanilla smell especially when it's fresh cut.

Reactions: Thistle
I agree with Wood Duck. More and better pictures would help. Looks like a lot of powder post beetle holes in this wood too.

Status
Not open for further replies.