Questions on what can be burned...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mfglickman

Minister of Fire
Jan 17, 2012
NW CT
Hi all,

So we did a lot of stacking, and DH did a good bit of cutting, this weekend. Some of the deadfall from the woods is too wet, definitely. Then some is marginal and that's where we have questions. Here goes:

1- Is lichen OK? What about light bits of fungus (spotty not covered) on wood that's maybe damp on the outside but solid inside.
2- Does rot/damp spread? E.g. if we toss a split in the stack that is a bit overly soft, will that ruin the whole bunch of wood?
3- We found a downed oak that is about 18" across at its widest. The bark and first layers of wood feel pretty damp (it had broken off about 2 feet off the ground so was not entirely on the ground) but inside is very solid wood. Do we need to scrape it? Or will it dry out?
4- Birch - found some down/standing dead birch that has bright/dark GREEN inside of it. What is that?

Also, this log/branch that I found. There was nothing else like it. When we cut into it, it was pinkish/red inside. Very dry. And a little bumpy/spiky looking (like branch nibs every 4 inches or so). DH thinks it's a fence post (though there were no others?) and I think it's some kind of pine, though we've been calling it "Devil wood".

Thanks!!!

Mary

Attachments

• IMAG0317.jpg
    IMAG0317.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 605
I'll answer what I can although some may disagree

1 - Don't worry about the lichen, just let the wood dry out. I just threw a piece in the stove today that had lichen on the outside - it burned great
2 - Rot does not spread, just put the wood somewhere where it will stay dry.
3 - I would not scrape anything as wood is enough work as it is. Just let it dry out. Oak takes awhile to dry so split asap if you can.
4 - Not sure what the green on the birch or the red wood is. Leftover decorations for Christmas??

mfglickman said:
Hi all,

So we did a lot of stacking, and DH did a good bit of cutting, this weekend. Some of the deadfall from the woods is too wet, definitely. Then some is marginal and that's where we have questions. Here goes:

1- Is lichen OK? What about light bits of fungus (spotty not covered) on wood that's maybe damp on the outside but solid inside. Once it gets dry it will burn without any issues . . . but if you have any concerns about this wood you can box it up and ship it to me for testing. ;)
2- Does rot/damp spread? E.g. if we toss a split in the stack that is a bit overly soft, will that ruin the whole bunch of wood? It should be fine . . . but I suppose I would want to know just how rotten the wood is . . . if it's just a bit punky, once that dries it should be fine as long as you keep it dry.
3- We found a downed oak that is about 18" across at its widest. The bark and first layers of wood feel pretty damp (it had broken off about 2 feet off the ground so was not entirely on the ground) but inside is very solid wood. Do we need to scrape it? Or will it dry out? If I was a betting man I would bet that it would dry if you got it up off the ground and stacked . . . but that said I have been known to whack off punk or rotten wood . . . namely because for me (I am several years ahead) punky wood is just taking up space in my stacks.
4- Birch - found some down/standing dead birch that has bright/dark GREEN inside of it. What is that? I would guess rot . . . some sort of fungus.

Also, this log/branch that I found. There was nothing else like it. When we cut into it, it was pinkish/red inside. Very dry. And a little bumpy/spiky looking (like branch nibs every 4 inches or so). DH thinks it's a fence post (though there were no others?) and I think it's some kind of pine, though we've been calling it "Devil wood". I think it may have been a branch or small sapling that was standing dead . . . outer bark got punky and sloughed off . . . eventually leaving the inner wood.
Thanks!!!

Mary

I would not worry about lichen at all, and fungus isn't a problem as long as the wood is still solid. I don't like to stack punky wood in my stacks. Punk/rotten wood holds water and I think it keeps the wood nearby or beneath it wet. I try to remove the puny parts when I am splitting, although I don't ever get it all. If you have a log that is punky on the outside I'd try scraping the rotten stuff off before you cut the log. I think it will be easier to scrape a long than it would be to scrape a whole lot of small rounds.

Agree about pretty much all the comments. Had a 24 inch suger maple that had some punky boles. Split and stacked the best of them, and eventually burned them, but I wouldn't do it again. I have a theory that the punky wood absorbs atmospheric moisture sort of like tissue paper versus shiny paper. The reduced net BTU output of the moister and lighter (partially decomposed) wood wasn't worth the effort of splitting, transporting and stacking, and the space the stacked wood took for 2 years. And I'm referring to wood that was JUST STARTING to get punky...still had good fiber characteristics. It was still very solid to the touch and to the splitting tools. Could have made better use of all my resources by starting with good wood, and let this wood nourish the forest floor. Standing dead white birch has a waterprooof barrier (its bark) and rots while standing. That wood will be no good to burn. Peel the bark off and keep it...the best natural firestarter going. You can also write or draw on it. Keeps forever. That spiky piece of wood looks suspiciously like eastern cedar. Though I cannot imagine why it would be pink. Can you post a close up of where those litttle branch stubs come out of the log? Cedar is pretty distinctive. If cedar, it would burn fine, but perhaps sparks, and not very heavy wood so not much BTU for volume. Given it is pink, and almost definitely a softwood, and not very big, I'd forget it. Maybe it is a fence post someone treated with some chemical? Just not worth burning something that small when you don';t know what it is, in my opinion.

i,d say that pic is cedar

I try to knock off any punk. The sapwood on Oak punks out pretty quickly. I've got some Red Oak like that, and will try to split it off with the power splitter...if I have to sacrifice some good wood, so be it. Chipping that punk off with a hatchet is a pain. As far as the moisture content, if Oak has been dead or down a long, long time and the sapwood is totally rotted off, the wood can be fairly dry but it usually still needs to be split and stacked at least over the Summer for it to be really good.
I may be paranoid but I don't like to burn any kind of punky or discolored fungus wood through my combustor for fear that it may mask or poison it. I'm no expert on cat chemisty, however...
That nubby wood looks like Cedar to me, as well. Chip some off and take a whiff.

mfglickman said:
Hi all,

1- Is lichen OK? What about light bits of fungus (spotty not covered) on wood that's maybe damp on the outside but solid inside.
2- Does rot/damp spread? E.g. if we toss a split in the stack that is a bit overly soft, will that ruin the whole bunch of wood?
3- We found a downed oak that is about 18" across at its widest. The bark and first layers of wood feel pretty damp (it had broken off about 2 feet off the ground so was not entirely on the ground) but inside is very solid wood. Do we need to scrape it? Or will it dry out?
4- Birch - found some down/standing dead birch that has bright/dark GREEN inside of it. What is that?

Also, this log/branch that I found. There was nothing else like it. When we cut into it, it was pinkish/red inside. Very dry. And a little bumpy/spiky looking (like branch nibs every 4 inches or so). DH thinks it's a fence post (though there were no others?) and I think it's some kind of pine, though we've been calling it "Devil wood".

Thanks!!!

Mary

Mary you have had some good responses. I'll just add that if anything is turning punky, we leave it in the woods. You've no doubt read where I have stated over and over that wood is not a sponge. If it is punky, that is the only exception. Punky wood will continue to soak up moisture. As for the birch, that stuff will die on the stump so if a birch falls over, you can count on it being punky. What was the green? Dunno.

I burn those punky pieces in my out door fire pit along with my slash.

Burn the punky stuff what will fall off will, the hard inside will burn fine. Burn all funges lichens etc
It will all burn. unless your pile stayes wet and damp none of this will spread or grow it will possibly die.

And your devil wood is ceder!! Probly eastern Red cedar but not sure as i am from the south and thats all we
really have here. I am a forester and know there are other ceders in other parts, western red , in the west for example.
It could also be atlantic ceder which is coastal and not near as common.

Status
Not open for further replies.