What kind of pots are safe to boil dry on top of a wood stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Zach Hoyt

Feb 11, 2015
Orwell NY
I've been very pleased with the small Drolet Columbia in the workshop and a similar stove in the house this winter. They've provided enough heat and been easy to operate. One question I've run into is what kinds of pots or pans are safe to leave on top of a stove when they run dry. I have a couple of cheap imported cast iron pans that I bought at a flea market that were rusty and have been using them, one on each stove, but they have gotten really rusty and I am wondering if there is anything else that's safe to leave on top of the stove. Sometimes they go dry overnight, and I knew the cast iron wouldn't melt, but if there is anything else that would work and not get all rusty that would be better. I'll be grateful for any advice.

Stainless steel. It may warp but it wont melt. I used a cheap stainless 1.5 gallon pot on my stove and nothing bad ever happened to it, even when ran dry.

I've used an aluminum pot without any issues. Anything that can go on a cooking stove shouldn't have an issue going on a wood stove.

If you want to get fancy
81a+Z4ip36L._AC_SX679_.jpg

Amazon

I have an all metal pot but I get rust too. I think it is because I am on a well and the Salt for the water treatment speeds up rusting when heated. I don't mind. If I want to get rid of the rust a bit of steel wool and elbow grease will clean it up.

Cast iron.
I prefer stainless, aluminum, or brass. Cast iron + water rusts and rust spots are sorely visual on a black stove top.

Thank you all very much. I'll have a look next time I'm at the thrift store and see what I can find that would be suitable. The cast iron works but it is rusting like crazy and looks pretty messy. It looks kind of like the pictures of the Titanic that the submersible took.

Use a trivet
We do, it's built into our stove. That doesn't stop the rusting inside of the cast iron container. There are no advantages that I can see to using it for a pot on the stovetop except for cooking.

I use a cast iron trivet on the stovetop. I place our cast iron humidifier on top of it. No rust. I was advised not to place the cast iron humidifier directly on the stovetop without one.

An old enamel pot works for us. The trivet top keeps it from boiling. It will evaporate a gallon of water in a day.

IMG_3260.jpg

An old enamel pot works for us. The trivet top keeps it from boiling. It will evaporate a gallon of water in a day.

View attachment 309861
I was going to mention an enamel pot or porcelain coated cast iron. I like your fan. Im so impressed with these. I can’t believe how well these fans move the warm air.

Cast Iron for sure. Even if it gets a little rust, you can easily spot clean with a Brillo pad.

Reactions: VintageGal
you can also put a pyrex coffee pot on top of the stove. the buildup on the inside only can be washed out. that is one of my steamers and it looks ok because it is white porcelain. i have been using this for at least 8 or 9 years now. i also have a aluminum steam dragon that looks cool. it steams out thru it's nose holes. between the both i put about half gallon of water in each so under one firing of the stove it puts about 3/4 to one gallon of water in the air

you can also put a pyrex coffee pot on top of the stove. the buildup on the inside only can be washed out. that is one of my steamers and it looks ok because it is white porcelain. i have been using this for at least 8 or 9 years now. i also have a aluminum steam dragon that looks cool. it steams out thru it's nose holes. between the both i put about half gallon of water in each so under one firing of the stove it puts about 3/4 to one gallon of water in the air
like a chemex or the like? i picked one up at the dump and was using it as a vase, but this would be a good use in the winter months

Reactions: fbelec
Use enameled cast iron, it will never rust. And use a trivet if you want.