What kind of space heater is best for economy and safety?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BC_Josh

Oct 23, 2023
Nelson, British Columbia
Hi, I have a wood stove working away frequently, however, there is this one corner of the dining room/kitchen area that always seems to be too cool and I've tried all kinds of fan combinations, closing certain doors to other rooms, etc, etc.. I just wanted a small space heater to help it out a bit on colder days. I just don't know what kind is best. It just needs a little bump in temperature; that's all.
Ceramic with a safety feature?
Oil filled radiator plug in type?
Which kind is best for pinching pennies and also for being able to leave the house with it on? Thanks.

Electric resistance is electric resistance. Choose the one your wife likes best. For all out safety, an electric baseboard is hard to beat if there’s wall available.

Have you looked to see if there’s an insulation issue at that corner?

If you need a heater, the ceramics are pretty cheap and safe but they typically have a fan moving the heat around so they make noise. The oil filled electric heaters are larger and take up more room and typically use convection so no fans but much bigger footprint and more expensive. They are both 100% efficient so they cost the same to heat the room.

Sometimes the insulation was not done well and there will be big gaps at the top of the walls where the insulation settled. A thermal camera will pick up those areas and they can be drilled and pumped with cellulose (or foam). Typically I see those spots over windows and at the top of walls.

Reactions: mari
Oil filled space heaters work well with radiant heat. They are safe. A low speed, small fan placed behind helps too. Or not. We have one that we used occasionally. Now the wood stove heats that space well.

We've had a couple of them. One got knocked over and eventually started to leak. Don't knock it over, haha.

That's what I would get anyway...

I have a couple oil filled radiators and feel very safe with them. I use them in the mostly unheated basement to protect the pipes when really cold and also in our main bath to bump the heat just a bit occasionally. Both work well in each location.

I have two oil filled heaters, one DeLonghi and the newer one is a Dreo. They both work well but I love the Dreo more. It has a 1 to 24 hour timer and is cheaper to run. Also has a remote, bringing my household remote count to 6.

I've tried all kinds of fan combinations
You've tried a small fan on the floor of the cold area, blowing back toward the stove? Its always easier to move cold air than warm (but when you move the cold air, warm air will replace it)

Fo something that will be on constantly. I'm a fan of the oil filled type. Much more even heat, no fan noise, multiple output levels, thermostat. Natural draft and people walking by will distribute the heat.

Reactions: bigealta
You've tried a small fan on the floor of the cold area, blowing back toward the stove? Its always easier to move cold air than warm (but when you move the cold air, warm air will replace it)
Yep, tried a small fan on the floor and also a box fan. Tried them both or one at a time, in different locations. Only goes so far. Seems to work OK when I remember to close off other rooms in the house, though. But, sometimes, I want both my office and the dining room/kitchen to be warm at the same time. So, a little bump in heat would do the trick.

Just watched this one. Safest thing you can do is Never use an extension cord.

Reactions: DonTee
^ I just watched that the other day too. Project farm has some good videos.