What kind of stove is this?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

razzorm

Oct 26, 2008
Berkshires, Western MA
I'm looking for a used stove which will be lightly used. I've come across this stove that looks similar to a Jotul F118.
Seller say it was his dad's and is at least 40 years old. It's too far away to just go look at it without some information on what it is.
Anybody familiar with it?
Facebook stove.jpg

What does the top front look like? Can you find a casting, maybe at the rear side bottom, that says made in Taiwan?

If it doesnt have Jotul cast into it, its Jotul "clone" most likely a Scandia from Taiwan. Unless its heck of deal not worth much

Reactions: D. Hermit
If it doesnt have Jotul cast into it, its Jotul "clone" most likely a Scandia from Taiwan. Unless its heck of deal not worth much
There were several clones coming out of that foundry. I think one variation was a Mao Shing, or something like that.

It reportedly was not just one foundry, a middleman had the molds and shopped them around to the cheapest foundry. Some other middlemen had custom panels made. Folks were desperate for stoves with months long waiting lists for name brands so a fly by night retailer would get them cheap and sell them to folks desperate for a stove. If a casting cracked, if the dealer was still around, they might just swap the stove. By now the bad castings would have failed and usually the name brand replacement parts may fit with some grinding.

Last edited: