What kind of winter is projected this year?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The wooly bears are red and pink polka dots here. I'm expecting frogs from the heavens.

BeGreen said:
The wooly bears are red and pink polka dots here. I'm expecting frogs from the heavens.

Ha , Better make sure our chimney caps are on tight .

The farmer's almanac this year did say much colder than normal...

I would like to point out that they said the same thing last year for us up here. And, I remember 3 weekends in January where the temperature got up to 50 degrees. It was considerably warmer than ususal.

It is difficult to predict winter. I would put more stock in the weak El Nino, but it all depends on where the jetstream goes.

If we have an El Nino, will Dan Rather come back to the news, with his "we are all going to die" music, doing "El Nino updates?"

I sell pellets, coal, oil, and stoves.......boy, I hear its gonna be one of the snowiest, coldest winters on record! Lotsa acorns, wolly bears with wide bands, and boy does my lumbago hurt (whatever a lumbago is).... ;-P

HarryBack said:
and boy does my lumbago hurt (whatever a lumbago is).... ;-P

When your limbago starts hurting you better pack up the Winnebago and move to Florida ;-P

70's in CT today and tomorrow. Sounds like a re-run of last year! Saw two guys with plows on their trucks already! I dont even remember where mine is. I think burried behind the garage somewhere! I'll have to dig it out soon, just in case.

velvetfoot said:
Greg, can you get any useful firewood from all the wood that fell.
1 1/2 cord so far :cheese:

People in my area are pleading and willing to pay people to take there wood away.

Unfortunately I live in New England, so anything the meterologists say is worthless!!! 60 degrees one day, and 6 inches of snow the next - IT HAS HAPPENED!

recppd said:
Unfortunately I live in New England, so anything the meterologists say is worthless!!! 60 degrees one day, and 6 inches of snow the next - IT HAS HAPPENED!

Ha , Thats what we say about Nebraska ........

"If you dont like the weather today ..... wait a couple days"

Acorn drop isn't that reliable. Depends on the variety of the acorn tree. Some oaks take a couple years for the acorn to grow and thus you get cyclical mast crop. Deer hunters love to find the big mature oak....and it's different between black oak, white, oak, willow oak, red oak.....yada yada yada that is dropping acorns because it lets you set up over a plentiful natural food source. the last two years around here there wasn't much in the way of acorns. The year before, it was crazy in the woods. Acorns constantly falling.

I know Gypsy Moths had a BIG effect on the acorn crop locally and that would have NOTHING to do with Winter temps.

BTW
Unavailable for comment

Attachments

• heatmiser.jpg
    heatmiser.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 157
Status
Not open for further replies.