What kind of wood stove is this?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LilDave

Nov 22, 2016
North Carolina
I just bought this stove and going to install it. the person I bought it from said I could use it inside. any thoughts on this stove would be appreciated looks to have been made by someone.

received_1258757164146065.jpeg received_1258762977478817.jpeg received_1258783514143430.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Bought this wood stove to heat my 1300 square foot house. Only source of heat I have. Could anyone tell me what type of stove this was built to be like? This stove was within my budget and was told it would do the job. New to burning wood. Grew up around stoves when I was a kid other than throwing wood in I know nothing else about them. Any help wood be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless there is a tag or label on it, it appears to be locally or home made. It's also a furnace so not sure how it will work in ducted . where will it sit? They were designed to sit on a concrete floor. Not sure how you will determine hearth requirements and be safe. One of the flues is the chimney and the other is piped into the ductwork. If you have a basement and duct work I would put it there?

Reactions: LilDave
Unless there is a tag or label on it, it appears to be locally or home made. It's also a furnace so not sure how it will work in ducted . where will it sit? They were designed to sit on a concrete floor. Not sure how you will determine hearth requirements and be safe. One of the flues is the chimney and the other is piped into the ductwork. If you have a basement and duct work I would put it there?
I don't have a basement but that's where the guy I bought it from had it. it would have to set inside the house where the lined masonry chimney is. the chimney was built in the 90s.

I don't have a basement but that's where the guy I bought it from had it. it would have to set inside the house where the lined masonry chimney is. the chimney was built in the 90s.

Before investing too much money on what appears to be a non-UL approved wood stove, make sure your homeowners insurance is OK with you installing this stove, or any stove, even UL approved.

Without their OK on an installation, an accident might not be covered.

I had a heck of a good heater that was not UL approved, but wanted to switch insurance companies to save money and found it cheaper to get a different modern stove (I bought it used on Craigslist) that was UL approved and made the insurance company happy, than keeping the one insurance company that would allow me to keep using my old beast.

If you are OK to install this, then you will be following the maximum requirements for NFPA 211 installations such as 36 inch clearance to combustibles, a very large hearth pad,,, gotta add some sort of legs, etc.

Good luck,

pen

Before investing too much money on what appears to be a non-UL approved wood stove, make sure your homeowners insurance is OK with you installing this stove, or any stove, even UL approved.

Without their OK on an installation, an accident might not be covered.

I had a heck of a good heater that was not UL approved, but wanted to switch insurance companies to save money and found it cheaper to get a different modern stove (I bought it used on Craigslist) that was UL approved and made the insurance company happy, than keeping the one insurance company that would allow me to keep using my old beast.

If you are OK to install this, then you will be following the maximum requirements for NFPA 211 installations such as 36 inch clearance to combustibles, a very large hearth pad,,, gotta add some sort of legs, etc.

Good luck,

pen
The firebox is 10" from the floor inside the jacket. the bottom doesn't get hot is what I was told and that you could touch the jacket without getting burnt. which was one of my concerns I have two toddlers in the house.

So if the outer jacket doesn't get hot are you just planning on heating with it by using the blower and blowing the hot air out the duct pipe?

The dimensions of the inside of the stove are 30"deep x 22 1/2"wide x 19" high but only 14" high at the back there is a piece of steel under the outlet that sticks out 12" all the way across the back.

Under normal circumstances you may be fine. But how hot does the outer jacket get if the power goes out ? The hearth requirements would worry me.

Under normal circumstances you may be fine. But how hot does the outer jacket get if the power goes out ? The hearth requirements would worry me.
I'm not sure haven't got to try it. going to put it in today. hopefully have the first fire in it tonight to see how it does.

I'm not sure haven't got to try it. going to put it in today. hopefully have the first fire in it tonight to see how it does.
Did you check with your insurance company? Did you have the chimney inspected? Are you sure the wall pass thru is done correctly? What hearth is it going on? What clearances do you have?

Did you check with your insurance company? Did you have the chimney inspected? Are you sure the wall pass thru is done correctly? What hearth is it going on? What clearances do you have?
I rent the house the owner said I could put it in. It is a masonry chimney built in the 90s but put a ss liner insulated in it. The chimney looks good it was a fireplace with a insert in it but the insert is not in it anymore. The wood stove where I have it has 4 1/2 foot of clearance from both walls on each side. will set 3 foot from the front of the brick fireplace. My uncle said I could just put the pad down from lowes it's some type of board wrapped with a thin piece of metal. The bottom of the firebox inside the jacket is 1 foot above that with firebrick in the bottom setting on there side so the wood will be burning on top of that so that adds 4 inches from the fire to the bottom of the firebox.

I rent the house the owner said I could put it in. It is a masonry chimney built in the 90s but put a ss liner insulated in it. The chimney looks good it was a fireplace with a insert in it but the insert is not in it anymore. The wood stove where I have it has 4 1/2 foot of clearance from both walls on each side
That all sounds good

My uncle said I could just put the pad down from lowes it's some type of board wrapped with a thin piece of metal.
That is nowhere near good enough I would say you need at least 4 pieces of cement board under it. And make sure you have at least 16" in front and about the same on the sides

The bottom of the firebox inside the jacket is 1 foot above that with firebrick in the bottom setting on there side so the wood will be burning on top of that so that adds 4 inches from the fire to the bottom of the firebox.
Why are there firebrick on their side inthere? That is just crazy

This will be the only source for heat there is no electric furnace in the house it was took out. They put in a heat pump that runs off of propane which the tank is out of date. I moved in here last January and only used space heaters to heat with and it didn't get very warm still had to have warm clothes on. The electric bill was outrageous. So trying to get ready for the cold this year. We live in NC around pilot mountain area it doesn't get below zero here but usually in the low 20s.

It doesn't have a great in it use to but the last owner took it out. it has a ash pan so I put the firebrick on its side to get up to where the great use to be. So I'll be shoveling the ashes out.
For wood you dont want a grate anyway

The house is 1300 square feet. I'll be running it into the ductwork will be some what of a eye sore. Going to connect it threw one of the vents and block of the furnace so it will blow threw the house vents. The ductwork under the house has 6" pipe running to the vents on this addon section which connect to the main duct. The main duct is 4" from top to bottom and 12" wide.

The house is a 1980 something i think it was a 14 X 80 single wide that has a livingroom and two other rooms built onto it. The built on livingroom has the fireplace. it was all built in the 90s and the whole house has a block foundation all the way around. Replaced all windows with double pane has vinyl siding on it and shingled roof.

Looks stout and homemade. No legs which means it would need to be setup on a totally non-combustible platform (maybe made out of cement blocks) or used on a cement slab floor. Clearances for unlisted stoves are 36" in all directions to any and all combustibles.

Since it is a pretty large stove I'm curious how you ran the pipe from the from flue to the chimney. Seems like it would need a lot of strange bends.

Status
Not open for further replies.