What log hook would you reccomend ? Is this one any good?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Where are you in CT? LogRite is in Vernon. I'd call to see if they do any direct sales, if I was near Vernon.

They have three dealers in CT, too: https://logrite.com/store/connecticut

I have a Stihl cant hook, and bought the LogRite log stand. It was mentioned on here that LogRite makes the Stihl products.

Looking at this thing .
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C4WQ10A/?tag=hearthamazon-20
Would you recommend it? Any other ones I can consider?

Interesting that this unit is much less ambitious than many as far as the height of lift. You only need to get it clear of the ground. Might be more practical for larger logs. I've never used the log-jack foot that came with mine. Being able to roll the log is enough to allow finishing the cut.

I used the foot on my woodchuck dual like three or four times. I've used it as a Peavy way more than a timberjack

Reactions: TreePointer
I used the foot on my woodchuck dual like three or four times. I've used it as a Peavy way more than a timberjack

Same here. While I don't have a Woodchuck, I use my timberjack almost exclusively as a cant hook/peavey to turn logs rather than elevate them.

Reactions: SpaceBus
If its too big I just let the Wife turn them with Tractor. You can bite off more than you can do with Timber Jack. Depending on the log size and such.

For a cant to work well, it must be very sharp on the hook and the end that bites into the log.
DSCF0002.JPG

Reactions: Coalescent
Found a better pic.

DSCF0010.JPG
DSCF0013.JPG

Looks like the same one I bought at TSC for $30, hasn't failed yest.

Northern tools has them pretty cheap. If you have Amazon Prime check there too. Save $$ shipping.

It’s definitely not the cheapest option out there, but my wife bought me the Log Ox 3-in-1 kit this July and it has been fantastic. I’ve used it for processing about 5 cords of trees—red oak, birch, beech, and eastern white pine.

It’s made in the USA and the company is out of Vermont.

The LogOX

I don’t have any recent photos on hand, but here are some I took right after I received it:
580119BF-54C3-48F7-863A-C7173A3F6C97.jpeg
42A5FC56-F808-4D34-A276-D4F0F0686DA4.jpeg
D23AFEA1-2E50-4C69-9977-224298B05922.jpeg
E44F4601-DB02-44FE-B8CF-83A9617FC9DB.jpeg

Reactions: Dataman
Man, I wish I had a tractor! We’re saving up.
I see a lot of guys under the impression they need to spend $30k to get a decent tractor. Had this very conversation with a new neighbor just the other day. You can buy a heck of a lot of Ford for $2500 - $3500, if you don't mind going old. I was shopping machines with loaders for $4500 - $5500, before I bit the bullet and got a newer (meaning only 30 years old) hydrostatic unit for $8500. It will easily outlive me, at my <100 hours per year rate of use, these things were build to run 500 - 1500 hours per year.

So true. I got Mitsubishi MT18 with Loader and Back Blade for $5300 with Delivery. If the meter was right only 1300 hours on it. New tires with calcium in them. Been Great in the 4+ years. Only broken ground problem we solved. New Battery and Routine Maintance.
SUNP0001a (6)b.JPG

Reactions: lsucet and Ashful