what Oil to use to lube motors on a whitfield

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dude

Jan 30, 2009
NY
Just wondering what oil I should be using. Did a quick search and found someone advising NOT to use 3 in 1 which is what I have used in the past.
Any recommendations as to what Oil I should be using and how much. Is 2 or 3 drops in each hole enough for the season. Thanx

I would say 20w(3and1 Blue can "NOT THE RED CAN"), But check the manual to varify what Whitfield recommends.

2 to 3 drops should do. May need to do a few times per season or when you clean the blowers out.

Thanx for the reply , I have been using the "blue can" which is 20w , so I guess I am ok
Never have tried clening all the dust that gets sucked into the armature of the motors , that sounds like a good idea I havent thought of
I guess some kind of quick drying/evaporating type cleaner like brakeclean?

waikikidc said:
Thanx for the reply , I have been using the "blue can" which is 20w , so I guess I am ok
Never have tried clening all the dust that gets sucked into the armature of the motors , that sounds like a good idea I havent thought of
I guess some kind of quick drying/evaporating type cleaner like brakeclean?

I use contact cleaner. Its meant to clean electrical components. I have never tried brakekleen. Not sure it the solvents will attack the coatings on the windings. I would stick to the contact cleaner just in case.

Ideally, straight weight oil is best for electric motors that need lubrication. Best all around would be straight 20w non-detergent.

I use 3 in-1 (20 w)

Status
Not open for further replies.