What pellets do you like this year?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I live in Maine and the lowest price that I can find in the whole state is Home Depot 219 a ton if you buy 6 tons and that is not delivered

The best I've done is $180 for douglas firs in Washington state. It was a 25% off any one item in the store -- including a ton of pellets. I can sometimes get them for $200 but often get them on sale for around $210. Regular prices are typically $230.

I live in Maine and the lowest price that I can find in the whole state is Home Depot 219 a ton if you buy 6 tons and that is not delivered
Yes, but that's before any discounts either negotiated locally/online or timing it to coincide with other deals that the big box stores offer. North Windham Maine Lowes has them for $259/ton. If you bought them at Thanksgiving, you would have received a 4% ton discount, 10% off coupon and then a 15% store credit for $189 (all discounts offered nationally). I was also able to receive free shipping as part of it because I called afterwards.

The best I've done is $180 for douglas firs in Washington state. It was a 25% off any one item in the store -- including a ton of pellets. I can sometimes get them for $200 but often get them on sale for around $210. Regular prices are typically $230.
Buying pellets in the Northwest must be nice. In the Northeast you really have to work hard to find a reasonable price.

Buying pellets in the Northwest must be nice. In the Northeast you really have to work hard to find a reasonable price.

I feel for you guys. We don't even have hardwood pellets out here. I wouldn't even know where to get them. I've never seen them. In the pellet game, we have the advantage. But the hardwood cords -- you guys got us beat. In Western Washington, we don't really have any hard wood to buy or cut for that matter. Some maple. Some madrona. But you got look hard for them or pay a higher price. And cord wood can get expensive.

I used to go out and cut my own firewood and when I got lazy I would just call someone and buy a cord of red fir in the rounds for $85.00 White fir was about $ 65.00 in the rounds. That was back in the late 80's early 90's It was easy to come by back then. Today a cord of red fir around here will cost you close to $300.00 + and here in north Idaho when it gets cold a cord might last a month if your lucky. Yeah were lucky up here, we have plenty of forest resources and mill waste and nearby pellet Manufacturers. Can't help but feel for the folks on the East side of the US

Reactions: dotman17
No doubt. I belong to another firewood website and I talk to those guys all the time back East. It's a scramble and, if I lived out there, it'd be a completely different ball game. As it is, I go to one store now that constantly beat the prices of their competitors in the area and it's a DF pellet. It's a bit boring actually because I always know what I'm getting. I'm going to buy 1 of 3 pellets at the best price. Actually it means I going to buy 1 of 2 pellets because I'm not paying an extra $10 for Golden Fires over the Bears just to watch a slightly prettier flame.

I saw golden fire advertised at lowes back in October and saw the price per bag and about s h i t, hell no , no way would i pay that price. either for that miracle flame and no ash bullsht. like i said earlier North Idaho Pellets are by far the way to go around here @ 4.80 per bag.

Last edited:
I saw golden fire advertised at lowes back in October and saw the price per bag and about s h i t, hell no , no way would i pay that price. either for that miracle flame and no ash bullsht. like i said earlier North Idaho Pellets are by far the way to go around here @ 3.80 per bag.

I'm not that far away from you and I can get those pellets but for another $30 more. And in my test runs, I found that pellet to be a little less than my Bears or Olympus. Still a quality pellet. I would buy a whole bunch of them but I keep thinking about what I could do with that $30. It all seems to boil down to economics. What's the best pellet for the price in your area.

I saw golden fire advertised at lowes back in October and saw the price per bag and about s h i t, hell no , no way would i pay that price. either for that miracle flame and no ash bullsht. like i said earlier North Idaho Pellets are by far the way to go around here @ 4.80 per bag.

You ever try Purcells? It's a mixed fir and not just Douglas Fir made by North Idaho. I've been tempted to try them sometime.

Purcells in my opinion are a bit dirty for my liking , have tried and don't likey. Our North 40 Outfitters here in town had some red fire pellets called Rocky Canyon Premium Red Fir Pellets @ $4.00 per bag. I really liked them for their low ash output and clean burn but they left this hardened build up on my slide plate cleanout that I had to chip away all the time just to get it to work. That's the cheapest I have found next to the Purcells. The Rocky Canyon Pellets were a big hit from what I saw this season, they sold out fast and i can see why @ 4.00 per.

Purcells in my opinion are a bit dirty for my liking , have tried and don't likey. Our North 40 Outfitters here in town had some red fire pellets called Rocky Canyon Premium Red Fir Pellets @ $4.00 per bag. I really liked them for their low ash output and clean burn but they left this hardened build up on my slide plate cleanout that I had to chip away all the time just to get it to work. That's the cheapest I have found next to the Purcells. The Rocky Canyon Pellets were a big hit from what I saw this season, they sold out fast and i can see why @ 4.00 per.

I spent a week in McCall in September and that was the only pellet they offered up there in town. They seemed a bit high in price (compared to what I can get others here for) but what seemed so great is that they delivered all their pellets anywhere in town for $10.

That's pretty good delivery price, can't beat it and sure as hell can't get that here. I sold my 4X4 a few years back so I buy them by the bag, 6 at a time and throw them in the back seat of the nissan next to the six pack of beer. A bit of a pain in the ass but it all works out in the end, I have some beer to drink and a mobile storage shed.

The best I've done is $180 for douglas firs in Washington state

We can't even come close to that wholesale...
The shipping is brutal. and they get handled quite a few times,
so everyone needs a little slice!

Dan

Reactions: Mt Bob and bogieb
Yes and my local Lowe's store does not allow you to stack discounts upon discounts they only allow one discount.
Just checked North Windham and, if you do it online, you can stack coupons. See below. I didn't have a 10% coupon handy but checked using a $25 off $250 for example purposes. I had to add 51 bags to meet the $250 minimum, but you get the point. This nets to $224/ton but, iff you time it right when the 15% store credit is offered, you can get to the price I quoted. There may be other deals that Lowes/HD offer. Again, only beneficial if you are OK with the lower grade pellets big box stores offer. You'd also have to reach out to the store to negotiate delivery, if needed.

upload_2018-12-31_12-5-23.png

Yeah I think the days of the sub 200 / even sub 220 is over. I'm hoping by the end of the season round March April the big box stores will still have enough and I'll buy 4 or 5 ton if price is right. Home Depot doesn't give a 10% veterans discount on pellets like they used to so I'll probably get them from Lowe's
my local lowes gave me a 10% contractors discount because I bought 3 tons or more this year .. unfortunately it was \ is 3 tons of green supremes and they are dusty, sooty, more clinkers and much more ash than the Greene Teams ... but a buck a bag cheaper... I have 2 tons of the GT's left from last year ... much better pellets but I still have 2 tons of the GS's to burn through first ... as I have an insert I have to empty the ash pan and clean the glass every 4 bags .... next year I will just bite the bullet and pay the extra for more GT's .... better heat, cleaner and much less ash

Yes Lowe's gives me 10% veterans discount but there at 259 now and I can get better pellets from the manufacturer 4 the same price.

You're really funny. I've had pellet stoves probably for the last 10 or 15 years but it could be longer cuz I'm old and I forget. I buy all my pellet from the big box stores and have never really been disappointed but maybe that's just my stubbornness. Can someone convince me why I should spend 50 to $60 more a ton for pellets? Ask really doesn't bother me because I'm burning the big box store pellets and I only have to empty my trash box every 5 days.

Emptying an ash bin is the least of your concerns. I burn a cleaner pellet because the 'ash' doesn't gunk up my stove. And the heat is way better. Less cleanings and hotter burns equal less maintenance and less pellets burned. I can't tell you if that's worth $50 or not -- but for me it is. But then I get those things for $210 a pallet anyway.

Emptying an ash bin is the least of your concerns. I burn a cleaner pellet because the 'ash' doesn't gunk up my stove. And the heat is way better. Less cleanings and hotter burns equal less maintenance and less pellets burned. I can't tell you if that's worth $50 or not -- but for me it is. But then I get those things for $210 a pallet anyway.
Wish I could get pellets for 210 a pallet. That would be a no-brainer

Reactions: dotman17