What pellets do you like this year?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Wish I could get pellets for 210 a pallet. That would be a no-brainer

I think and wish you could as well. Again, if I lived out where you do -- I'd totally be playing the pellet game as you are. I would not pay those prices for the higher end pellets. It defeats the whole purpose of a pellet stove. You might as well just burn electricity.

I would love to use the best premium pellets but I bought my pellet stove to save money on oil. I don't mind cleaning the stove once a week and also the leafblower trick every ton. I find that the big box store pellets are fine for my purposes. Having said that, the better pellets do make a difference, if you don't mind the extra cost.;)

Reactions: Pete Zahria
Around a ton of Somersets burned here. My favorite of the few that I've tried.

I like Pro Pellets. They burn clean and hot in my stove. Comparing many bags of pellets I've seen, these still have about half the ash by spec. Only thing is they are getting harder to find. The local farm store quit carrying them, which is where I've bought them every time so far. Only choice now is a store I'd have to take time off work to get to, or Lowes (Magic Spark bag). Either would be a considerably longer drive. Also I had been getting them for around $200/ton, but this year they went up to $250 or more. I can still get junk pellets for $200/ton, but I'd rather pay more for something that actually burns well.

Love my Revalli. Adjusts automatically for best burn.
Ravelli Dynamic System
rds-HD.jpg

RDS, the fire follows our rules

RDS. Or Ravelli Dynamic System. RDS is Ravelli’s innovative system for automatically regulating combustion parameters and ensuring maximum efficiency and safety from your stove. RDS is a brand new concept in the field of biomass fuelled heating. The system is the expression of an intelligent and environmentally compatible new technology developed thanks to major investments in R&D and close cooperation with the Technical Physics department of the Mechanical Engineering faculty of the University of Brescia.

Dynamic operation, more efficient,
safer and cheaper

Normal variations in pellet quality, flue draft, altitude above sea level and operating temperature make it impossible for conventional stoves to achieve optimal efficiency. Ravelli’s exclusive RDS system automatically varies combustion parameters to maintain optimum combustion parameters and ensure maximum efficiency.

Can someone convince me why I should spend 50 to $60 more a ton for pellets?
Nope. Not going to try.

But with that reasoning, why do people spend $6.00 for a hamburger at Five Guys,
when you can get one at McDonalds for $1.00...
Why would a person spend 80 grand on a Corvette,
When a Camaro will get you to the same place?
Why buy a Harley, when there are better, for less?

It's really whatever the consumer wants to spend his money on..
When it's all said and done, at the end of the year,
the difference in what I spend on pellets, would not have changed my life.
;)

Dan

Hello everyone

New pellet stove user, being installed on 1/19, Enviro M55 insert.

I have been trolling the interwebs researching for pellets, recommendations, pricing, reviews for here on Long Island, NY.
For frellen sake the prices here are outrageous!.Below is from https://bravosdoor.com/

There is not many other places other then HD and Lowes.

$59 delivery and $25 pallet jack service

At these prices it will be cheaper to heat my 3000 sq ft home with NG with radiant baseboard.

I keep the first floor at 69 and 2nd floor at 66. 2nd floor heat barely comes on as the heat rises to satisfy my 2nd floor 2 zones.
I have a new Navien 240E combi on-demand system and my monthly NG bill in winter is anywhere from $175-$250
During summer my NG bill is about $20 a month.
House has new attic and roof rebuilt with also new blown-in insulation R49 value.
House was pressure tested and is now very tight.
Before work done on house there would be a 15 degree difference between 1st floor and 2nd floor.
Now I am within 2-3 degrees.

My dad who lives in Lancaster PA pays about $180-$220 for a ton(Hardwood or Softwood) delivered.
He has a Thelin going on about 20 years now.

upload_2019-1-3_11-57-12.png

Hello everyone

New pellet stove user, being installed on 1/19, Enviro M55 insert.

I have been trolling the interwebs researching for pellets, recommendations, pricing, reviews for here on Long Island, NY.
For frellen sake the prices here are outrageous!.Below is from https://bravosdoor.com/

There is not many other places other then HD and Lowes.

$59 delivery and $25 pallet jack service

At these prices it will be cheaper to heat my 3000 sq ft home with NG with radiant baseboard.

I keep the first floor at 69 and 2nd floor at 66. 2nd floor heat barely comes on as the heat rises to satisfy my 2nd floor 2 zones.
I have a new Navien 240E combi on-demand system and my monthly NG bill in winter is anywhere from $175-$250
During summer my NG bill is about $20 a month.
House has new attic and roof rebuilt with also new blown-in insulation R49 value.
House was pressure tested and is now very tight.
Before work done on house there would be a 15 degree difference between 1st floor and 2nd floor.
Now I am within 2-3 degrees.

My dad who lives in Lancaster PA pays about $180-$220 for a ton(Hardwood or Softwood) delivered.
He has a Thelin going on about 20 years now.

View attachment 237327
You're going to be hard pressed to find a deal on pellets that would be cheaper than NG. Most people I know who are using wood pellets to save money do not have LG as an option. It's either electric, propane or a burning device. People who have LG as an option and choose pellets typically have other reasons than money for using pellets.

Last edited:
Reactions: jackhammer
You're going to be hard pressed to find a deal on pellets that would be cheaper than NG. Most people I know who are using wood pellets to save money do not have LG as an option. It's either electric, propane or a burning device. People who have LG as an option and choose pellets typically have other reasons than money for using pellets.

Yes I agree NG is the cheapest source of energy and then Pellets is next not too far behind.

Too heat my home and be somewhat comfortable thermostat for NG is set at 69. Still need a sweatshirt and blanket.

I would rather burn pellets then pay the "man" and with NG prices skyrocketing in December its a no brainer.
Plus got tired of cleaning the fireplace and the residual lingering smell was not very comforting.
Besides a fireplace will not produce much in regards to heat. Maybe a few degrees.
Yes the aesthetics of the fireplace is nice. But if I dont have a fire going the cold draft from the chimney fills up the room.

Fireplace is in my 20x30 den where I spend most of the time.

I could crank the M55 up and be toasty warm in minutes. In order to do that on NG boiler would run all day.

Plus I am actually paying more for delivery(transportation of the NG gas) then for what I actually burn in therms.

Same applies to my electric. I pay more in transmission fees then what I have used. And I turn off every light, phone, cell phone charges, clocks, cable boxes etc. everything but my 2 refrigerators and a wine fridge. I have timers on lights that come on and off thru ought the day.
I changed all bulbs to LED. Saved over $20 a month. Started unplugging my 2 cable boxes and saved over $20 a month. These cable boxes use more electricity then some refrigerators! According to my energy reports I receive quarterly my home in my area is the most efficient home for its size by 30% compared to 380 other homes of my size in my area. My electric company actually refunded me money last year about $400 because I didn't use what they forecasted.

I've been using Fireside Ultra's from Home Depot the last few years. I've tried all sorts of pellets over the years, some high end others not so much. My conclusion is that as long as the pellet is throwing good heat I'll deal with extra ash etc. I have run into a couple of big box brands that just could not do it in subzero weather. FSU's have been able to keep a good temp in the house even in the subzero zone, so that's all I ask. We paid around $219 per ton this year plus I think $65 delivery.

To be honest, if the cheap stuff is not heating the house then I'll step up to the better stuff, but if the cheap stuff is doing the job, then why would I spend more. Then again, I could probably throw kibble in the P-68 and it would heat the house with it.

Reactions: bogieb
HAVE ANY OF YOU FOLKS BURNED SPRUCE POINTE OF OF ALBERTA CANADA IF SO WHAT WERE THE RESULTS

Hi Rascal08 posting in all capitals is considered shouting. Just a lil frendly forum etiquette. Nope havent burned them

Reactions: dotman17
Reactions: Mt Bob and bogieb
Average price for HHF in NH - stats supplied by the state. NG is available in very few areas and most of those are at the MA border or the seacoast. The difference between the cost that @Pete Zahria shows and the chart may be "delivery charges" or may just be his particular area. Not sure how a heat pump can be 250% efficient though - you can't produce more than available :)

1-3-19 average HHF prices.JPG