What pest did I drag home?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashful

Minister of Fire
Mar 7, 2012
Philadelphia
A. Iffy asked me to come get some wood out of his yard. Get home, and realize it's heavily infested with something, but what is it?

3049c18075f400b8b041d1286f294010.jpg
e30470d76093b1dd01f88b19e80b1aa3.jpg

Don't know off hand but I wish I could send this guy over, he'd probably do some damage.

Banded ash borer I'm pretty sure. Had a bunch of them hatch out of a tree this past spring as I worked it. They bite pretty hard.

You're right. They kill ash trees but over a longer period of time.The wood should be good just smash them as you see them...Bring the wood in when you can put it right into the stove.

Hmm, I have a dozen ash I'm trying to protect from EAB. Any recommendations for treatment? I have Bora Care on-hand, if it'll do the trick

EAB can be treated by injecting the trees as a preventative . Its very costly and has to be treated every year. I have 175 acres which are about 20 % ash and I find very few dying from EAB. The only alternative is to treat them if you can afford to or when they become infected , remove them and plant a more resistant species of tree.

Already on that. I've been doing basal trunk spray with imidicloprid. Much more cost effective than the injections, and almost as effective on trees still in good condition. $70 worth of chemical treats all the ash trees on my 4 acres.

Looks like a cockroach with a cool paintjob.

Our insect-porous splits stay outdoors until burn time as Mr. Cline alluded to also.
There's no stopping EAB here. They are stopping themselves by destroying the available
hosts. Once the ash population fully thins, the borer will lose it's foothold. Every spot where
an ash used to be something immediately replaces it in the new sunlight luckily for the whole
lot of us all. I cleared a section of our forest to the floor 5 years ago. The strip that I didn't keep up
on was fully taken back by nature in about 2 summers.
On a positive note, maple propellers do their job well, sprout easily, and grow fast. Other than the
mighty oak, maple will be the next dominant species in a generation or two. That's just one guys opinion
based on what I see appearing to slowly unfold. Sassafrass is trying to replace the ash too. Plenty of
wood to go around for the woodland creatures and us stovers too. It's interesting watching what I
never really paid attention to before. The pulse of the planet and it's resiliency playing out right in front
of our eyes. One unit dies and another takes it's place. Sometimes the same species, sometimes not.

Last edited:
I agree with your "big picture", bassturd. But right now I'm just trying to save a dozen key ash in my own yard. Losing some of them would devastate my view and curb appeal, and these monster trees will not be easily replaced inside of my lifetime.

Point well taken. These things don't self recycle all that fast compared
to our our lifespans.

Just looking at the positives. And I agree with you too. Our centerpiece 4' maple is a work of God's beauty.
Sure don't want to lose our 7,000 lb friend. (or whatever it weighs)

When EABwas discovered in Randolph NY about 6 yrs ago,which is 7 miles south of my log home and 175 acres. Everybody was cutting ash to get the saleable lumber before it was killed. I only found 6 trees that appeared to be infected. These I cut for firewood.The surrounding area lost more ash to the loggers than to EAB. The price dropped to almost nothing more than what firewood would bring.

Status
Not open for further replies.