What PPE do you all use when running the saw?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

TradEddie

Minister of Fire
Jan 24, 2012
SE PA
After seeing the face of a friend who took a kickback to his forehead, I now always wear a helmet, chaps, and use the bar tip protector for any job where it won't be a nuisance. This guy was a highly experienced landscaper who would wear all PPE at work, but took out the saw for a quick clean up job at home, no PPE, and bam! The ER said they don't treat many chansaw-to-the-head injuries, those mostly went straight to the basement (morgue). Gloves and steel toes too, my ears withstood prolonged concerts, jackhammers and gunshots with no damage, my occasional saw jobs won't hurt them much in comparison, but I do like using my bose noise cancelling headphones, partly for the extravagance, but mostly so I can hear when someone is calling me!

TE

EbS-P

Minister of Fire
Jan 19, 2019
SE North Carolina
I usually wear flip flops, a Hulkamania tank, and safety squinty eyes for good measure.
So your the guy I bought my first 1/2 cord of firewood from!!! Flip flops, tank top, buckin it up standing on/in the wood pile. The pecan wood was great! One of my first introductions to southern beach living.

Reactions: BIGChrisNH

EbS-P

Minister of Fire
Jan 19, 2019
SE North Carolina
So I have given this some thought after reading through everyone’s comments and I am going to by some 3/8 low kick back chain. I have 3/8 lp low kickback on my 16” ryobi and I use that when ever possible. I was removing some Holley bushes and sticking the bar tip in between branches and what not, being careful, bore cutting to spearhead different stems and got along just fine with the safety chain.
There is a reason it’s the law that all saws come with low kickback chain.

Now I need a 28” loop. What do you recommend?

SpaceBus

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2018
Downeast Maine
So I have given this some thought after reading through everyone’s comments and I am going to by some 3/8 low kick back chain. I have 3/8 lp low kickback on my 16” ryobi and I use that when ever possible. I was removing some Holley bushes and sticking the bar tip in between branches and what not, being careful, bore cutting to spearhead different stems and got along just fine with the safety chain.
There is a reason it’s the law that all saws come with low kickback chain.

Now I need a 28” loop. What do you recommend?
You should be able to find this on Amazon or Baileys. Ebay surprisingly has a lot of chain as well. I just search by gauge, pitch, and dl count.

EbS-P

Minister of Fire
Jan 19, 2019
SE North Carolina
You should be able to find this on Amazon or Baileys. Ebay surprisingly has a lot of chain as well. I just search by gauge, pitch, and dl count.
It’s harder to find than you might think. 28” and 0.063 are pro saw specs and most don’t seem to want low kickback chain. Oregon chain it’s 75V, Stihl looks like RS3 or RD3, I can’t find any in 0.063.

SpaceBus

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2018
Downeast Maine
It’s harder to find than you might think. 28” and 0.063 are pro saw specs and most don’t seem to want low kickback chain. Oregon chain it’s 75V, Stihl looks like RS3 or RD3, I can’t find any in 0.063.
Indeed, I wasn't thinking about safety chain. I only use that on my tiny MS150, everything else is sans bumpers. My other saws came from the dealer with non safety chain and my ripping chain is not low kickback either.