What size to split?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mwatt65

May 8, 2013
West Orange NJ
Afternoon guys I scrounge some rather large rounds of oak, they were cut into 9 to 12 inches thick but are over 35 inches wide!
I was wondering what size to split them? I was thinking 4 x 6 whats your thoughts?
They stink like cats pee, what type of oak?

Thank you.

For your stove 4" to 6" thick should work out fine.

The old timers called them piss oaks. Every once in a while you'll come across a red oak that reaks like it. Not sure why.
I'd be interested in the answer myself.

In my expierience the odor abates as the wood seasons. YMMV as does your nose :)

If the smell bothers you, you could always send it to me and I will safely burn, I mean discard it!

And here I was blaming the feral cats in the area for pissing on my wood pile! Actually they were, and if my wood smelled like that s#%t I would leave it in the woods!

Status
Not open for further replies.