What stoves if any have a large ash pan in the pedestal?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Josh Hufford

Dec 24, 2012
Jefferson City, Missouri
I have a Harman TL200 wood stove, really like it but it is starting to have some problems, the secondary burner is starting to come apart, and the lid lift mechanism is having some problems jamming up sometimes.

I'm on the fence as to try and rebuild this one or perhaps get a new one as the parts are quite expensive, and I just looked on Harman's site and I only see pellet stoves so I'm not even sure if they make wood stoves any longer?

The thing I LOVE the most about this stove, and it has really spoiled me, is the large ash pan in the pedestal, it makes ash removal SO MUCH easier and less messy, I would really hate to give that up with another stove. I can usually burn for at least a week, sometimes longer without the need to empty ashes.

Are there any other quality stoves out there with a similar design?

Thanks!

How large of a space are you heating? And, yes, there are wood stoves with large ash pans.

BK princess Ultra and the King Ultra have the ash pans in the pedestal. Matter of opinion if they are big

I'm heating about 1700 Square Ft. The TL200 I'm currently using is honestly probably a bit oversized for this house as I often can't burn it at proper temp without being run out of the house, but also are winters in Missouri are very variable, it got down to 12F last night and I woke up to a cold house this morning even though I loaded it up full at 11pm last night.

I also have to scrounge for wood and take what I can get as I don't have a place to cut my own, so I don't always have the best wood for heat output, so my conditions vary quite a bit. I figure it is probably to have a slightly undersized stove than oversized.

Also I do plan on adding insulation in my attic and replacing 3 of the original windows in the house that are very leaky, the rest of the windows have been replaced, so the house will be getting some insulation improvements at some point.

The ash pan on the Harman is quite large, I don't know the exact size but I'm guessing it would hold about 2.5 gallons of water.

I did find these heat output specs for the TL200

BTU Range 11,000 to 42,000
Heating Capacity 1,500 to 2,800 sq ft

Thanks for the input!

Pacific energy stoves are available with a large ash pan in the pedestal. People either love it or hate....

When I bought my stove, I was hung up on getting a decent ashpan. Now I just shovel out the ash, I do like the heavy steel ashpan plug on my Ashford, seems less likely to cause leaks than some stoves that have a door than can leak if the ash bed is pressed into it to hard.

Josh, take a look at some of Woodstock Soapstone Company's stoves. The Progress Hybrid is going to be too large for your application but they have some very nice smaller stoves with ash pans. Their web address is www.woodstove.com.

We have an Osburn 2400 has a large ash pan but really never use it I just shovel my ashes into a metal bucket only time I use it is when I clean out at end of burning season

Regency offers this option too.

We have two Pacific Energy Super 27s. Both are about seven years old. I like the ash pan since I made more dirt when I attempted to shovel ash. Some hate the ash pan because air can leak through the trap door. I always make sure that the trap door is closed securely and I leave ash in it when I clean out the stove.

The only repairs that I have made are replacing the door gaskets (DYI with kit from Amazon) and paint. The stainless steel baffle is very durable.
heat.jpg

I have a Harman TL200 wood stove, really like it but it is starting to have some problems, the secondary burner is starting to come apart, and the lid lift mechanism is having some problems jamming up sometimes.

I'm on the fence as to try and rebuild this one or perhaps get a new one as the parts are quite expensive, and I just looked on Harman's site and I only see pellet stoves so I'm not even sure if they make wood stoves any longer?

The thing I LOVE the most about this stove, and it has really spoiled me, is the large ash pan in the pedestal, it makes ash removal SO MUCH easier and less messy, I would really hate to give that up with another stove. I can usually burn for at least a week, sometimes longer without the need to empty ashes.

Are there any other quality stoves out there with a similar design?

Thanks!

Take the heat shield off and use automotive antiseize on the lift mechanisms. Try not to get too much of the oil component on the body of the stove or it will stink for a little bit as it burns off leaving the metal flake behind. They will work much better and last much longer! Also, make sure everything is properly tensioned. Brush off the creosote from the nuts and tighten things up every season. The more places you get the anti seize, the better things work. If you like the stove, replacing the $200 afterburner is going to be worth it. An equivalent quality/functioning stove today will cost you over $2,000.

I have a Lopi Evergreen with the pedestal base. Has a very large ash pan. I only had to empty it 3 times since Halloween. I easily get 2-3 firebox cleans before I have to dump the pan.

Reactions: nph3