What temp guage to get and best placement for it.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CK1950

Oct 13, 2011
Wichita, KS
Hi everyone,

This is a great forum with incredible information! I am very new to this forum and a wood stove. I recently inherited a CEMI Concept II insert and installed it with a custom made boot hooked on to a 8" flex liner. My question is what is a good temp gauge to get, where to place it and what temps should I be shooting for?

Thanks for everyones help!
Cliff

http://www.condar.com/ makes some decent thermometers. I like these better than the more common rutlands because they have scales specific to the stove top vs the stove pipe. The rutland takes an average of these.

Even still, the condar's range isn't perfect for every stove.

Another option is to consider an IR thermometer gun. Many can be had from amazon.com. I'd suggest one that reads to 1000 degrees, then you can shoot the thing all over how ever much and as fast as you want. Also works great on the frying pans before throwing the pancakes in (or searing scallops, a steak, etc, etc.). Lots of uses for one of these.

Of course, I have 3 thermometers on my stove, and an IR, and 2 more thermometers in the closet. Wife seems to think I have a problem. Run the stove for long enough now that the thermometers are mostly decoration, but while she doesn't admit it, they do help her operate the stove.

pen

Status
Not open for further replies.