What the Lux?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

briansol

Minister of Fire
Jan 18, 2009
central ct
Had the honeywell for a couple years--- works great, but with no swing the stove was cycling too much. Time to upgrade to one with a swing. Bought a Lux 1500 with swing on a reco fro the board here in a few sigs/etc. Seemed to be a good unit for the money.

Well, i'm completely unimpressed with this thing.....

Here they are side by side sitting on the coffee table for about 1 hr with no one touching them or being near them. It got down to 61 deg in the room before the thing read 68 and fired on the stove.

The honey well matches the oil big thermo on the wall FYI, and i assure you it was 61 because it was COLD in here.

"Factory calibrated" my a$$.

Another PO'ed night with my F'ing stove. See? potty mouth is kicked in again. I blew up at my gf for no reason after working on this damn thing too. UGH. Why don't I just ever learn and leave well enough alone because eveyr time i try to do something to improve life, I just make it worse?

Attachments

• 217959_10151267256250606_1809949848_n[1].jpg
    217959_10151267256250606_1809949848_n[1].jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 195
After nearly 2 days of laying side by side (and my stove on manual mode), the lux has come down a bit, but it still reads about 1-2 degrees higher than the honeywell.

Ok, no biggie, i'll just up my programs by a few degrees to compensate.

I put the swing to 6 to start. I figure that will give me 1.5 +/- (each is .25) of swing.

I set it to 66.

the house got to 74 (which is way too f'ing hot for me) before i gave up on waiting for it to kick it off high and on to low burn. Never happened.

I'm on RH with the jumper to RC still in tact, and W1 right next to it for the circuit. That's what the manual says to run.

manual link:
http://www.luxproducts.com/support/TX1500U_ENG_WebManual.pdf

I left all the dipswitces down (defafult) including the gas/electric switch.

should i move it to up? or do i have my wiring wrong?

my other unit doesn't have this level of granularity.

Its probably factory programmed?

Have you set ALL of the Times for the temps you want?

You can manually overide by pressing and holding the up button?

Someone else just had the same prob with a Heatilator CAB-50. I think it was member niseeker? If u wanna search?

My Lux plug in thermostats have an adjustable offset that allows you to sync it with other thermos.

I set the programs for all 7 days before i even wired it up. I also adjusted the temp via manual over-ride, and it wouldn't even make that 'click' sound that my honeywell does when it makes a call.

But, i DID hear it do it once... so it DOES work. i must just have the thing hooked up wrong.

Well, looks lik euser error strikes again. I moved it from gas to electric and it seems to be working properly now. The temp is still off a few degrees, so i simply compensated it up 2 on all my settings.

Well, looks lik euser error strikes again. I moved it from gas to electric and it seems to be working properly now. The temp is still off a few degrees, so i simply compensated it up 2 on all my settings.
Switching the gas/electric should have absolutely no effect on using this thermostat on a pellet stove.

Well, it does. lol on the oil option, it kept going into 'stage 2' heating and never shut the thing down. It's running perfect now with the fan to ON and the select to electric on RH (with jumper lefT) and W1. :shrug:

Well, it does. lol on the oil option, it kept going into 'stage 2' heating and never shut the thing down. It's running perfect now with the fan to ON and the select to electric on RH (with jumper lefT) and W1. :shrug:

You really need to read the manual more thoroughly. It tells you how to wire the thermostat and how to program it so it functions correctly on the type system your installing it on. If you had programmed it correctly the second stage of heat would have never appeared.

You really need to read the manual more thoroughly. It tells you how to wire the thermostat and how to program it so it functions correctly on the type system your installing it on. If you had programmed it correctly the second stage of heat would have never appeared.

Yeah, I gotta agree, never mind "what works", read the book some more, do it the way "It's sposeta be" , after all, I'm sure whoever wrote the book is in an office in Florida, or Bangle-a-bush, or wherever;);):rolleyes::rolleyes:

Yeah, I gotta agree, never mind "what works", read the book some more, do it the way "It's sposeta be" , after all, I'm sure whoever wrote the book is in an office in Florida, or Bangle-a-bush, or wherever;);):rolleyes::rolleyes:

He was already up to "when all else fails"

I did RTF. even linked it.

on page 8 it says
1-STAGE OR 2-STAGE, HEATING ONLY

(INCLUDING MILLIVOLT)

(2-WIRE HEAT USE “RH” & “W1”)

RH and w1 are my hooked up wires.

stage 2 is clearly marked on w2.

Nowhere does it say anything else for pelle stoves. It even says electric untis MAY need this. It provides basically no info about stage 2 settings other than it goes on w2 wire. which im not even using.
It's vague, at best.

So please, instead of being condescending, if i did it wrong, and you know what I did wrong, please help explain what i did wrong, and more so, how i can fix it.

From the manual on page 23

TO CHANGE THE OFFSET: After the Swing value has been accepted, the words “SET” and “OFFSET” will be shown on the screen, along with a flashing digit. This setting is shown as a number of degrees, and is similar in nature to the Swing however this only effects the operation of the second (auxiliary) heating stage, if present. The setting range for Offset is from 0 to 9 degrees. When set to 0 degrees, the second heating stage is completely disabled while in regular heat mode.

So you need to set the swing first than set the offset to 0 to disable the second stage.

Page 25 tells you how to match temperature readings between thermostats.

Status
Not open for further replies.