Should i just replace this old thing?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

admsteff

Jan 2, 2012
central mo
Hi everyone. Well, my wife and I bought a house last spring. In it is a rear-flue Efel stove of some type. I can't find any model #s or markings on it anywhere. The guy who came out to inspect the system mentioned it was 30 years old or so (I guess many efels are of this vintage). I guess he seemed moderately knowledgeable. He said the chimney was clean and everything checked out ok, safe to burn, etc. And of course suggested a new 3000 dollar stove (with installation). I'm familiar with some of the efficiency reasons to get an epa stove, but do I really need to replace? I'll try to post some pics maybe tomorrow when I have more time.
Some background: The stove does seem pretty... retro, but it still looks like it was pretty darn nice at one point. Ivory-ish enamel, side loading, (also front, but you've got to like lift the lid thing, and the front door swings up vertically, not convenient) seemingly a relatively large ash pan, even the cool gold lion emblem on the front. I don't really like the look of it, but it seems like it was pretty fancy for its time, or I'm being fooled by the gold lion emblem.
Here are the obvious problems that the guy pointed out and I can see: the steel back is pretty warped, although seems intact. The firebox seems intact too, but the thing looks pretty used. The front door has vertical glass "slats" behind a sort of metal mesh screen. One of these slats is missing. The thing of course was never truly airtight, but let's just say the slider air controls below have no real purpose at this point. I can not afford more than $1000 on a new stove, should I replace the glass and just go with it awhile, or is it time? Is it safe with these flaws?
Also, we have about 12-1300 sq. feet one story, well insulated newer home, and have electric central heat. I'd like to burn wood for 75% of my warmth at least (because it's free for my wallet, don't ask my shoulders and back). This thing needs a couple splits every two hours, I've never had morning coals. Mostly because I've got to have the damper wide open all the time to really warm the place. Don't know the box size, but it takes about 4 medium splits max 18" long. Maybe 5 if it goes in just right. Sorry, I don't have temperature readings, maybe I should get some thermos. It sure doesn't seem like it really lights up and gets blasting. My wood is white oak felled last fall, split in April (I know, I know...). Extremely hot and dry this summer though, and it was stacked nice and pretty the whole time under roof, open air. It lights and burns fine, although surely this wood will be a little hotter next winter. You do what you gotta do right? I think I'll go through about a cord this winter, as it has been very mild so far and only about 25% of my home heating is wood (most evenings).
Well, this is kind of running on, but I just wanted to get as much info as I could out there. Maybe you guys can talk me into a new stove.
Love the site, really appreciate all the info you guys provide.

Is the chimney lined or just clay tiles? What is the size of the tiles? You can get an Englander for under $1,000.00. But you may also need to reline depending on the condition & size of the existing chimney.
Is this a true chimney or pipe stack?
Post lots of pics, that will help.

For under a grand there are a lot of steel stoves that will do a much better job than the stove you have now. Longer burn times on less wood. But you will have to stick your own gold lion on it. :cheese:

admsteff said:
...Maybe you guys can talk me into a new stove...

Probably. Is that what you want?

Welcome to the Hearth, admsteff.
Sounds like you're a candidate for the Englander 13. The 30 may be too large if your place is well insulated, depending on layout. Pics would help us help you help yourself. :lol:
Not sure of other stoves in that price range that would work. HTH

This sounds like it may be an Efel Kamina? Does it look like this?

If the intent is to heat with wood regularly from now on, I'd get a modern stove. You can get a True North, Englander, Drolet, etc. for under $1k

Attachments

• Efel-Kamina.jpg
    Efel-Kamina.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 3,947
Hogwildz, it is a pipe stack. Begreen, that is it exactly. Efel Kamina. That lion is shinier than mine, though. I've read that the bc-13 from englander has a very small ash pan, also that ashes easily fall out of the front. Is this true? Haven't looked into the others, I'll check them out tonight. I'll get some pics up in the morning when it's brighter in here. Ease of use, and quality are my biggest concerns, obviously these 2 factors and price are sort of magnetically opposed to each other. So you guys agree that this thing is A: not worth fixing, and B: really not even the size stove I should be using? And I really would save my back a bunch of swings with an epa?

Yes scrap the old gal, and look into a new stove. I favor larger stoves and if need be you can have smaller loads as to no heat you out of the room, yet if you need the extra heat, its got room for more fuel and the capacity to heat more, and overnight burns/longer burn times. The 13 will heat good, but no overnight burns, no long burn times and if it maxes out on those coldest night, you ain't got no additional space for more wood for more heat if needed. If the pipe is 6" and the correct type, your all set.

Hey, that looks like the stove in the house we just bought! Didn't see the Efel emblam on it. Was told it was a coal stove. It is now out on the curb and we are having fun playing with our new Oslo. :)

We did end up using it in October when the power went out, to keep the pipes from freezing. We prayed a lot as we used it because we are not used to wood stoves and this one looked pretty banged up. Like you said we found we had to add a log every hour and we were painfully inching our way up from 55 degrees, one degree every hour. And then loosing a degree an hour when we stopped feeding the stove. Hence our new stove. But then our house is much bigger and older than yours. The previous owners did say that they used it to heat their house when they were growing up and that they wore a lot of sweaters inside. No sweaters with the Oslo when we get her cranking! Still working on getting her cranked long enough to keep the temps up though.

Spend as much as you can to upgrade. You will be more comfortable, you'll get longer burn times, use less wood, AND use less electricity for heat too. The savings in electricity should offset the cost of the upgrade. When I upgraded from our old wood incinerator to a modern EPA stove, I saved about 80% the cost of the stove in heating bills in the first season. It paid for itself by Christmas of the second and we are far more comfortable. My new stove also looks much nicer than the old one.

Status
Not open for further replies.