What tile for a hearth pad?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

barrettdp

Hearth Supporter
Dec 20, 2008
NE Georgia
Or rather the question should be, what tile to stay away from?

We would rather have a natural stone look but may not be in the budget, so I have been looking a cheap tile. I was wondering is it safe to use any old tile as the top of the hearth pad? Would it crack as soon as you place the weight of the stove on it??

I used ceramic tile on mine. I think my tile was $3 for a 16X16" piece. There is some beautiful natural stone looking ceramic tile. Most ceramic tile is made to withstand the weight of heavy stuff ( fridge stove foot traffic etc...) just something to think about

Jeff

Ceramic tile here too. Quite easy to install, looks nice and should hold up well over many, many moons. Lots of different styles or patterns to choose from also.

barrettdp said:
Or rather the question should be, what tile to stay away from?

We would rather have a natural stone look but may not be in the budget, so I have been looking a cheap tile. I was wondering is it safe to use any old tile as the top of the hearth pad? Would it crack as soon as you place the weight of the stove on it??

i went with multicolor slate for the pad and surround. just make sure you have a sturdy even surface to set the stove on. if there is any give you will crack tiles.

I have Vermont slate. Bought it on line and it was shipped to my house. Imported slate from box stores can flake and can have sharp edges. VT slate was uniform in color and pretty smooth. It is beautiful stuff.

Ceramic will do but IMO porcelain is a better choice as it is harder and can withstand dropped wood, pokers, etc. better.

the key with any tile is having the proper backing and application of the thinset. Tile can take a heck of a beating if it's well supported. If not, well, it cracks. When well supported, it's difficult to find a poor choice.

pen

Multi-colored Monson slate from Maine here . . . as others have said . . . any tile or stone will work . . . the key being to have a rigid backing to avoid flex and use good thinset.

I looked at tile for months, and finally went with some granite (emerald green, I think is the name of the color) from HD, the 18"x 31" sheets that they sell for countertops. I got it at a substantial discount by buying it on sale and got an additional markdown on some of it because of minor edge damage, not acceptable for countertops, but which I turned to hide under the stove. The hearth's got a 470# stove sitting on it, and is doing just fine.

It took four sheets of the granite, three side-by-side, the fourth cut into thirds and lined up to extend the 31" dimension to about 42", so the finished hearth is 42x52, plus trim. Stacked it on plywood, micore (because of insulation needs for this stove), durrock, thinset, and the granite, trimmed out w/the cut-to-length stock oak trim at HD. Took forever to figure out what I wanted to do, and could have used an extra pair of hands, but for my first tiling project, I think it turned out nice (no pix, so it didn't happen, I know . . . )

The granite works great as a heat sink (warm buns AND warm toes), looks good with soapstone, and reflects the light from the fire. I I floated it on some cardboard to get the trim and hearth's height to match. Not fastened down per code, but I don't think it's going anywhere on my watch . . . You can also find granite there in smaller square tiles for not-too-much. They're real proud of their big pieces and the prices on that are through the roof, but if you get it in smaller chunks, it's not so bad. If you've got a cast iron stove, I think solid black granite would look, well, hot. There's some that has reflective blue flakes in it that would be pretty amazing as well. It's not top-of-the-line granite, but then I didn't pay top-of-the-line prices for it, either, and I'm very happy with it.

By coincidence, I was just down standing on it, and did some mental math on the construction. Because the stove store was kind enough to seel me a half-sheet of micore, I believe that I kept the price of that hearth under $200. Not couch-cushion change (at least, not in my couch), but I think that's what the off-the-rack hearth pads run, and I like this a lot better. [no pix, it didn't happen - - sigh]

an off-topic-btw, RoseRed---just talked to a mamm who mentioned a toddler burn, little guy fell on the stove w/hand extended, bad blister only, going to be okay, but thought of you and your concern. It happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.