What to check on used kinetic splitter before buying?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dmitry

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2014
CT
I'm about to check out 2 years old kinetic DR Power Rapid Fire 34 ton. What parts should I check before buying? Anything to pay attention doing trial splits.
Thank you.

Yes here's what you check. Check your bank account. If you can, or even can't afford a Super Split somehow get one. Trust me, as a new owner of an electric model you will never regret or look back. Worth every penny.

Yes here's what you check. Check your bank account. If you can, or even can't afford a Super Split somehow get one. Trust me, as a new owner of an electric model you will never regret or look back. Worth every penny.
Been looking for a used electric one for years.............in general Super Split prices are so high for used that new seems to be the only way to go.

I had mine shipped to a truck terminal to save money. Getting it off of my pick up truck when I got it home was challenging to say the least as it's pretty much fully assembled in a box and weighs what? 600 lbs with pallet?

Reactions: Lakeside
Been looking for a used electric one for years.............in general Super Split prices are so high for used that new seems to be the only way to go.
There’s a reason they hold their value.

I hear great things about kinetic splitters, I’ve always been a hydro guy. How do these kinetic do against big, ugly, heavy, knarly stuff?

I‘ve bent beams before on 34 ton hydro splitters, can’t help but wonder if a kinetic would even come close in the hefty stuff.

I hear great things about kinetic splitters, I’ve always been a hydro guy. How do these kinetic do against big, ugly, heavy, knarly stuff?

I‘ve bent beams before on 34 ton hydro splitters, can’t help but wonder if a kinetic would even come close in the hefty stuff.
Knot the proper application for them.

Reactions: Deets
Guess the key inspection points to me would be that all-important (likely expensive) rack and pinion. If either one seems to have damage or wear on the teeth, or looks to have the 'rode hard, put away wet' / lack of maintenance patina, it might make me question the integrity of the splitter.

Just posted update on another thread. But posting here as well
Ok, here is an update. I got it. The unit seemed nice. I got home, greased it, and split a couple of small logs. When I got to the big stuff the rack just stuck against it and the machine produced a rattling sound. The sound comes from pinion riding on the rack.
Apparently, the bushing on the engaging mechanism got worn and not holding the rack all the way down to pinion causing slippage when splitting tough logs.
That's when I start to kick myself.
Why I didn't listen to your, guys, and didn't get super split.
It's simple to repair, but this happened after a year of use. Wondering what's coming.
I called the guy and he was kind enough and agreed to take it back.

Even better when electric too. Very low maintenance, no smoke, and very little noise too.
I can't find if it was you or Bad LP who converted from gas Honda to an electric model. Wondering if there is a noticeable drop in power. Just went outside, it's 7 pm on Friday night, so quiet and peaceful. I live on 3 acres but still would feel like an ass starting spitter now if wanted to split.

I did not convert mine.. I understand there is a different clutch mechanism. Fire that baby up and get splitting.

I did not convert mine.. I understand there is a different clutch mechanism. Fire that baby up and get splitting.
Still waiting on it as the wait time is 8 !!!!!! ( eight), yes, 8 weeks plus shipping.

I see it was BAD LP who converted.

Knot the proper application for them.
I see you are converted from gas Honda to an electric model. Wondering if there is a noticeable drop in power. Just went outside, it's 7 pm on Friday night, so quiet and peaceful. I live on 3 acres but still would feel like an ass starting spitter now if wanted to split.

I can't find if it was you or Bad LP who converted from gas Honda to an electric model. Wondering if there is a noticeable drop in power. Just went outside, it's 7 pm on Friday night, so quiet and peaceful. I live on 3 acres but still would feel like an ass starting spitter now if wanted to split.
This video was shot 30 feet away at 220 v. Longer distance and lower voltage will give different results. Yes I hate that noise too. It's a pleasure splitting now. Yesterday I noticed a few logs outside my garage that were still round and plugged the Supersplit in , 5 mins later DONE.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lakeside
I see you are converted from gas Honda to an electric model. Wondering if there is a noticeable drop in power. Just went outside, it's 7 pm on Friday night, so quiet and peaceful. I live on 3 acres but still would feel like an ass starting spitter now if wanted to split.

If there was a loss of power I didn't notice it. I never ran the Honda full throttle.

I went with the 220 motor. The total run from the breaker panel to the splitter is just under 150 feet and it's #10 wire the whole way.