What to do with a 60" bar?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SolarAndWood

Minister of Fire
Feb 3, 2008
Syracuse NY
I came across a nice Craigslist find last week. The saw came with 24" and 60" bars. The 60" bar is stamped General Bar Company Made in USA. It appears lightly used but has a very slight burn mark on the tip. Anyone know if there is a market for something like this used? Or should I keep it around for when my testosterone levels are running low?

Attachments

• 2095 60 inch bar.jpg
    2095 60 inch bar.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 442
I have had a few occasions when I wish I had had a bar that long. Silver maple trunks can be quite large and would have used that bar,no matter how long it took to saw thru . It would also be funny to take the chain to a shop that charges 6 dollars to sharpen it

Naw, just keep it around for some of those big trees you find every now and then. Also makes a good conversation piece.

SolarAndWood said:
Or should I keep it around for when my testosterone levels are running low?

Like the New Guinea men who have different size gourds to cover their private parts?

"Honey, I'm really sorry the tribe fired you as chief counsel, but don't take it out on me. Why don't you wear the big gourd today, it'll make you feel so much better?" :lol:

BTW, nice bad boy saw you got there. How's it run?

Good conversation piece, also good for showing your friends how over the top you can go when you have to cut a small tree or limb.

Might make overhead limbing easier...extra few feet of reach.

Take it to camp and have some fun.

zap

Battenkiller said:
BTW, nice bad boy saw you got there. How's it run?

The guy told me it was a 2009 with 15 hours on it. Highly doubtful but it starts and runs strong. I've been looking for a bigger saw for a few years and they all seem to have been run hard and put away wet. Pretty pleased with this find.

EatenByLimestone said:
Use it to buck 3 logs at once. Those log loads won't be so intimidating now.

Matt

Somethin tells me that 5' of chain is more than those 95cc are going to drive effectively.

mayhem said:
Might make overhead limbing easier...extra few feet of reach.

I doubt I could even hold it over my head with that bar on it.

zapny said:
Take it to camp and have some fun.

Yep, that's what its for. Have woods full of ash that are going to have to be processed. Don't need that bar for that though. A 3 footer would be more than enough and the 2 footer will do the vast majority of it.

What saw is it on? If it's running a .404 chain I might be interested in it. Is that a Jonsered? (if the bolt pattern is 9.5mm or 10mm then it might work on my saw, but 60" is just freaking huge. I might do it anyway for fun...)

Jonsered 2095. It is 3/8 chain. Intimidatingly huge. If I had something that big to cut, it would be on the ground already and I think I would opt to get the old crosscut saw out before I used that thing. Who knows, maybe someday I will graduate to it and it will be nice to have around.

SolarAndWood said:
EatenByLimestone said:
Use it to buck 3 logs at once. Those log loads won't be so intimidating now.

Matt

Somethin tells me that 5' of chain is more than those 95cc are going to drive effectively.

Yes it is, but what the heck looks like fun to me!

that's just wrong

Some good ideas here.
I gotta few to add :)

Idea # 1:
Sell it & buy some new 24" chains
& some Halloween candy

#2. Make several knives & a couple 24" chains

#3 Save it so when your neighbor (or someone) wants to borrow your saw, have this one on it.
Tell him it needs sharpened first & hand him a file.

Good one Dave

I like #3

I'd keep it ya never know you might get into milling!!! If I had it I would try it out on my 2186 with a full skip chain. Shoot I'll trade you 3/8 32" bar off my saw for it!

Billy

Now that's a good point Billy. I saw somewhere that Jonsered used the 2095/2186 in a portable mill package?

When I got the 32" .050 sugi hara bar for the 2186 it said it was for the jonsered ripping saw that's about all I know about it. But it sure is fun running a big saw in big wood!!!!

Billy

Status
Not open for further replies.