What to do with extra splits

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xman23

Minister of Fire
Oct 7, 2008
Lackawaxen PA
I was in a new Hilton in NYC . In the lobby they had four different sizes of this coffee table. This one is 3' X 3' X 1'. It's factory made, cut pieces, I haven't figured out how the cuts were done. Maybe done with a CNC driven saw, but.....what do you guy think?

Anyone done something like this.

image.jpg

Reactions: BobUrban
I like it

The builder of that likes wood ;)

Looks like Zaps stacks :)

It look like if you cross cut a bunch of 1" pieces off your splits, then fit them together, like tiles.

I'd bet they're hand-fitted, not cnc'd. Having worked in a pattern shop for a long time, I'm guessing it's a guy with a pencil, a bandsaw and a disc sander. After it's assembled, run the whole thing through a wide-belt

Do you have a picture taken from the side? I'm curious about how it's constructed, how the weight is supported, etc.

That is cool-looking, but all I can think of is that my stacks were packed that tight they would take a lot longer to dry out! I must have the "seasoning fever", which is contagious from this website.

I'd bet they're hand-fitted, not cnc'd. Having worked in a pattern shop for a long time, I'm guessing it's a guy with a pencil, a bandsaw and a disc sander. After it's assembled, run the whole thing through a wide-belt

Do you have a picture taken from the side? I'm curious about how it's constructed, how the weight is supported, etc.

In the picture you can see the side of a smaller table. I tried lifting a corner, it was heavy. I thought they were full length splits. Next time i'm in there I will take a closer look and ask where it came from. There must be 4 pads to elevate the cornors, or you would never get it level.

What's an 'extra' split?

If I had to make that I'd probably run each split side over a joiner. Once they are all flat, piece them together and cut the sides even. Looks really good though.

Status
Not open for further replies.