What to expect with amperage draw?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SIERRADMAX

Feeling the Heat
Jan 13, 2011
RI
Sizing a UPS for back-up. What should my amperage draw be running my EBW-100 with control panel, fan & a single circulator?

What model circulator? Usually 100W or less for a typical circulator, and figure another 100W for the boiler fan and control. This is just a rough guess so take with some salt. 300W max for the whole system I'd think.

TS

Sizing a UPS for back-up. What should my amperage draw be running my EBW-100 with control panel, fan & a single circulator?
The problem will be the batteries. Most computer UPS only provide enough battery for an orderly shutdown, 10 to 20 minutes with fresh batteries, which drops to zero as the batteries age beyond 3 to 5 years old.

If you do it by the numbers with a true sinewave UPS and batteries for an extended runtime, the cost could get impractically large. I would not waste my money on the cheap APC units sold retail. You can get free ones all day long that need nothing but new batteries every 3 to 5 years.

The money may be better spent on passive safety, overheat loops, and a small Yamaha or Honda inverter generator.

Status
Not open for further replies.