what to look for in a surge protector

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

simplicity2012

Feb 23, 2015
Vermont
Hey everyone!
Going to pick up my new stove in the near future and wanted some info on what people use for surge protectors for their stoves. Someone told me it has to b computer grade one whatever that means. I know there are different ranges of sensitivity but dont know how to read that on the box when looking. Advice would be much appreciated!

I use an APC as a surge suppressor which I modified to also serve as a battery backup.

If it is a Harman, you are limited as to what they say will work (APC750BE is what I have - I believe), other stoves may have other requirements, and still others may not care what you use.

Hey everyone!
Going to pick up my new stove in the near future and wanted some info on what people use for surge protectors for their stoves. Someone told me it has to b computer grade one whatever that means. I know there are different ranges of sensitivity but dont know how to read that on the box when looking. Advice would be much appreciated!
I think surge protectors are rated by the joules they can handle, joules are the energy spike measurement. UPSes typically incorporate surge protection into their product, but that doesn't mean they can all handle the same amount of energy spikes. In general, the higher the joules, the better the protection.

Yeah, I just put one of those in today. From what I've read, they're one of the better ones.
Surge-2.jpg Surge-3.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.