What to look for in compressed logs/bricks? (just cost per pound?)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mar13

Minister of Fire
Nov 5, 2018
California redwood coast
I'm off on local store quest to buy samples of the various compressed logs/bricks to stretch out my wood supply. (Unfortunately I have to buy my wood.) From what I've picked up from reading various old posts on hearth.com, the main factors to look for are:

(0) It has to be locally available.
(1) Most important: Cost per a pound. I'm assuming here that the moisture content is roughly the same among the products. Also, wood is wood and the type of wood the sawdust came from is not relevant.
(2) How compressed. I'm assuming here that the more compressed the log, the slower it will burn.
(3) Surface area to volume ratio. I'm assuming here that the less surface area available per a unit volume, the slower it will burn.
(4) How it burns off. I think this is related to #2, but from my limited experience using only one brand, I suppose they can burn in different manners. For example, like pennies coming off a dollar roll of pennies is what I observed.
(5) Brick or log. I guess this could matter to some people for various personal burning or storing reasons.

So to sum it up, I essentially just need to compare how many cents per pound the different brands cost? Do any of you have good reasons to disagree?

Thanks

Last edited:
Past experience- Better compressed bricks tend to burn nicer in general, and I prefer smaller bricks. You can stack smaller bricks together into a larger mass (and as they burn at the seams, the sawdust tends to expand to close off those seams a bit). The 2lb bricks are my favorite.

Never had access to the log version but I'm sure they burn great and have different quirks/techniques for use.

I now have a small collection of Sis-q-logs, Homefire Prest logs, a box of broken Pres-to logs, Blazer logs (seem identical to Pres-to) and some messy TSC Redstone 3.33lb bricks to try out. Those are what are available in my region. It'll be interesting to compare.

To be honest here, some of these compressed wood products suck, others are good. I always keep what would be equivalent to 1 weeks worth of wood fuel in compressed wood product just incase sickness strikes or something crazy happens like a broken arm or leg, the past 2 years it has been tractor supply redstones (middle of the road quality) A few years back I came across a local supplier that sold Compressed wood bricks - that was the name, those were honestly the best I ever came across personally, I ended up buying 2 tons worth, giving my parents a full ton for xmas since they didnt have wood seasoned enough to burn and are just emergency / weekend burners themselves, I kept a ton for myself to play around with and also gave some packs to friends to show them how well these are incase they get jammed up and needed a quick supply. Presto co ended up buying out this company and the following yeat I bought a few packs to see if there were any changes, the brand went from 1st place to last place in one run, horrible product.
I tend to lean with the tractor supply redstones because they offered in the past a rather substantial black friday sale, you can order online then pick up at a later date to. Other then that I think a few big box stores like HD or Lowes started to stock certain brands, but they never understood the pricing of it, or think the market is for an occasional open fireplace burner, I find both stores obnoxiously high priced in this area.