What to purchase... Wood Stove, Wood Furnace, Monitor, Heat Pump.... etc...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

buildakicker

Hearth Supporter
Dec 6, 2006
Hello all!

I am so glad to find this website. I have been researching heating alternatives for my cold home. I live in the mountains in Northern California. We get some sun, not all day. I have a 1200 sqft home that has average insulation, something I am working on. I need a heat source, since LP is going to make me broke.

I need some suggestions on what I should go with. Wood stove, wood/gas furnace, heat pump etc.... IF anyone has any ideas, I would be grateful to your opinions.

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum. You've found a good place. These guys know their stuff. If your stove is 1200 sqft all on one level, a wood stove would heat that very nicely. Soapstone would probably be better than cast iron in your situation. Much more even heat, not as many temperature fluctuations.

I don't know what elevation you're at in the mountains there. I know some of the guys in CO have draft issues due to elevation. They'd be better off addressing any possible elevation related draft issues. Also, what types of wood you can get your hands on will affect whether you should choose wood. I'm in the northeast, so again am not sure what options you have there. If you've got mostly softer woods, it might be more work than reward to keep the house heated.

It also depends on if you're home a lot, (to reload the stove), how much you like or hate splitting/hauling/stacking wood. If you want clean and quick, maybe a pellet stove, but I think they're getting a pretty penny for pellets these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.