What to use for Hearth

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

denisemon

Hearth Supporter
I'll be installing a Jotul f 400 and planned on using a slab of 1 1/2" bluestone...but doing my research I have found the R-value to be only .08 per inch. I was using the bluestone only because I had it, I'm open to other options.

The combustible material the stove and hearth will be set upon is an oak floor.

I'm not looking for anything fancy, simple is good for me. Any suggestions besides an ugly pre-made hearth pad?

thanks.

dmrecycles said:
I'll be installing a Jotul f 400 and planned on using a slab of 1 1/2" bluestone...but doing my research I have found the R-value to be only .08 per inch. I was using the bluestone only because I had it, I'm open to other options.

The combustible material the stove and hearth will be set upon is an oak floor.

I'm not looking for anything fancy, simple is good for me. Any suggestions besides an ugly pre-made hearth pad?

thanks.

I haven't looked at the manual . . . what are the R value requirements? My Oslo only required ember protection, but I gained .24 or something like that (as well as gaining some peace of mind) simply by using 1/2 listed Durock with the slate tile over the top. Depending on whether or not you want a raised hearth you could layer up several 1/2 inch sheets of listed Durock to reach the appropriate R value (if needed) and then throw down (or at least gingerly lay down) the bluestone.

Check the manual for the R-value requirement. The F500 has no R-value requirement and with the bottom heat sheild the floor stays amazingly cool. I assume the F400 is not different but don't remember 0 - best to look. Or an F400 person will chime in soon.

I found an answer for you courtesy of Jotul's website and specs for the Castine.

--
The Jøtul F 400 requires one of the following three forms of
hearth protection:

1. Any UL, ULC or WH listed hearth board. (No bottom heat shield
required).

2. Any noncombustible material that has a minimum
R- value of 2.0. (No bottom heat shield required.)

3. Any noncombustible material with the use of the stove’s
bottom heat shield.

---

So my first question would be . . . does your stove have the bottom heat shield? If so it seems that the bluestone alone would work for you.

If no heat shield you would have to go with a listed hearth board or make your own hearth to the 2.0 R requirement.

firefighterjake said:
I found an answer for you courtesy of Jotul's website and specs for the Castine.

--
The Jøtul F 400 requires one of the following three forms of
hearth protection:

1. Any UL, ULC or WH listed hearth board. (No bottom heat shield
required).

2. Any noncombustible material that has a minimum
R- value of 2.0. (No bottom heat shield required.)

3. Any noncombustible material with the use of the stove’s
bottom heat shield.

Stupid owners manuals and website, always messing things up

---

So my first question would be . . . does your stove have the bottom heat shield? If so it seems that the bluestone alone would work for you.

If no heat shield you would have to go with a listed hearth board or make your own hearth to the 2.0 R requirement.

oh yeah, I meant to state that the R-value was 2.0 (thanks firefighterjake) and duhhh...forgot about the heatshield option and maybe that was why I was thinking the bluestone would be OK. But, I was also wondering if maybe someone knew of something off the top of their heads of a product that was 2.0 rated in case I didn't go with a heat shield.

I think I've just over taxed my brain with this research stuff and all it's hearth and pipe requirements.

Once again, thanks everyone!

--denise

You could also just put the pretty bluestone on top of one of those ugly hearth boards?

There's a fairly new product available called "GreenE-Board". It has a listed R value of 1.2 per inch. The sheets are available in 1/4 or 1/2 inch. On www.jonapanels.com there is an excellent page that compares similar products -- flame spread, R Value, water resistance etc. It's fairly light weight and should be pretty easy to work with.

I haven't used it yet but probably will use it to build a wall heat shield for a stove.

nelraq said:
There's a fairly new product available called "GreenE-Board". It has a listed R value of 1.2 per inch. The sheets are available in 1/4 or 1/2 inch. On www.jonapanels.com there is an excellent page that compares similar products -- flame spread, R Value, water resistance etc. It's fairly light weight and should be pretty easy to work with.

I haven't used it yet but probably will use it to build a wall heat shield for a stove.

oh great !! thanks for that info., something to think about for my walls in case I don't go with the rear heat shield.

Status
Not open for further replies.