What Type of Wood? Cut a Cord Today.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

toddnic

Minister of Fire
Jul 13, 2013
North Carolina
Any idea what type of wood this is? I cut around a cord today. It is definitely a hardwood. Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• Wood 1.jpg
    Wood 1.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 498
  • Wood 2.jpg
    Wood 2.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 506
  • Wood 3.jpg
    Wood 3.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 525
  • Wood 4.jpg
    Wood 4.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 467
I'm sure others will chime in here, I don't get much of it here in PA. but from seeing pictures before I think it might be Cottonwood? We'll see what others say.....

Maybe dogwood?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Bark is too thick for Dogwood, at least what I have here in PA.
Could very well be....I don't see dogwood too often around here....as big as what's shown in OP picture anyway.

The growth rings are super tight....don't think it's cottonwood for that reason.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Bark Looks similar to sassafras. Did it have a strong scent?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes it has that reddish tint to it like Sass does, he should be able to tell by the smell if there is any. Really thick bark though, this is an interesting one !

Yes it has that reddish tint to it like Sass does, he should be able to tell by the smell if there is any. Really thick bark though, this is an interesting one !

Yep. I have a ton of it in my woods for some reason. My first year I loved cutting it the smell was enjoyable it split like butter. But it lasts about as long as pine in the stove or less. Now I leave it for the bugs. The birds and deer seem to love it. It seems to be a common snap in half tree. Most of the dead ones in my woods have a rotted center I guess that's why.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No real strong smell. Some of the larger splits were very heavy. It split similar to oak.

Any pictures of leaves perhaps?
When I glanced at the thumbnails, I thought it looked like the long needle pine I have in the back yard....but if it was you could tell by the scent.
I know the smell was faint but was it sweet, strong, bitter...???
Maybe a maple or poplar maybe? Hard to say.

Any pictures of leaves perhaps?
When I glanced at the thumbnails, I thought it looked like the long needle pine I have in the back yard....but if it was you could tell by the scent.
I know the smell was faint but was it sweet, strong, bitter...???
Maybe a maple or poplar maybe? Hard to say.
No leaves due to it being winter. Not a strong smell. Probably a sweeter smell. Definitely not a softwood.

Looks like possibly blackgum. Did the branches off the tree come off at a very steep upward angle?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
The branches were not at a steep upward angle. I checked out a few pictures of blackgum and that does not look like the tree.

No leaves due to it being winter.
Any branches/ twigs ? What is branching habit - opposite or alternate ? Picture of buds ?

Was the bark that thick and warty all the way up the trunk and on the branches or was this more prominent on the lower trunk?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Attachments

• Wood 5.jpg
    Wood 5.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 173
  • Wood 6.jpg
    Wood 6.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 162
Maple of some type possibly . May be Sugar.

Thanks for the great pictures of the grain. I know Blades said it might be Maple, perhaps Sugar, but I've only had that once that I know of so I will have to defer to others who have more experience with it to verify it. But regardless that is very nice looking wood!

Hello All!! Thanks for your input on the wood. It is BLACK GUM.....

That bark doesn't look right to me for Black Tupelo (Blackgum) but Googling the bark, I see some like what you pictured. Blackgum is supposed to be bloody hell to split according to some folks here. We have several nearby but I haven't cut any yet. The shiny leaves turn a beautiful red in the fall. Here are a couple pics of one at my SIL's house.
BLack tupe 1.jpg Black Tupe 2.jpg

Last edited: