What Type of Wood? Cut a Cord Today.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
My immediate reaction upon seeing the bark in the first pic was Burr Oak. Our black gum around here does not have bark that thick, although, the bark is thick and unique. We don't have Burr Oak here but I have seen pics of it many times. The bark in your pic is uber thick, like I have seen Burr Oak have.

Reactions: Birdieseeker
That bark doesn't look right to me for Black Tupelo (Blackgum) but Googling the bark, I see some like what you pictured. Blackgum is supposed to be bloody hell to split according to some folks here. We have several nearby but I haven't cut any yet. The shiny leaves turn a beautiful red in the fall. Here are a couple pics of one at my SIL's house.
View attachment 194788 View attachment 194789
It is difficult to split! The wood seems to twist around itself similar to the colors in a peppermint stick. I've read a number of threads related to how it burns and it is medium hardwood. Thankfully I didn't have to go far to get it and hopefully my splitter can handle the additional load.