What type of wood? Hackberry?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Cfran88

Jul 11, 2019
Central Ohio
I don't know much about wood. I got a free score today. The guy said he was told it's something that starts with H and ends with berry. I googled and found something called Hackberry. Could that be what this is? It was around Columbus Ohio.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200126-201511_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20200126-201511_Facebook.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 160
Reactions: D8Chumley
From what I can tell from the bark & wood color it appears to be Hackberry. Mine dried in one year, it’s similar in btu’s to Ash & Cherry. Some folks like it others not so much. It looks to be easy to get at & already limbed up. Take it.

Kind of fuzzy pictures. Looks like hackberry. Hackberry bark has a kind of ridged ribbed rib-bed look , very distinct. Saw one today, 20" dia, big one for this area. Wondering if they will be the next in succession, since everything else ( oak, butternut, elm) seems to be dying back to nothing.

Reactions: Cfran88
Looks like Hackberry to me. Have a couple cords in the stacks right now... maybe even a bit in the stove. About 20 Mbtu/cord, so sort of around the paper birch / ash / cherry range. A little lower than oak/locust around 24 Mbtu. Little better than doug fir and silver maple around 17.5 Mbtu. OK wood for anything but the dead of winter / coldest nights of the year.

It does look like Hackberry. In some regions I think this is called Sugarberry. I picked up a couple logs along the side of the road last year. Seasons fast. Not very impressive, but it's heat.

That’s hackberry. Hackberry has been a large part of the last two years fuel. Middle of the road stuff as said above. I find it produces a little more ash than other fuel and doesn’t have the stored BTU of other flavors such as oak. That said, it burns, and it makes heat.

Thanks for the help everyone. I tried splitting some thia evening and it seems to be extremely tough and stringy. Do I need to just buck and let it sit for while or will it always be this way. Tree was just cut yesterday

Thanks for the help everyone. I tried splitting some thia evening and it seems to be extremely tough and stringy. Do I need to just buck and let it sit for while or will it always be this way. Tree was just cut yesterday
It won't get any better letting it sit. I think the problem is that it grew in a yard where it got a lot of sun, and the result was many branches. Those yardbirds can be tough to split. <> Nonetheless, I would hack that Hack, man! ==c Good medium-BTU stuff to have on hand.