What UL approved wood burning fireplace insert for new construction addition?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Hiness58

Apr 24, 2017
Mayodan, NC
Husband is building us a 24 x 24 den addition. We want a wood burning fireplace insert that is SUITABLE for new construction. Also insurance is saying the UL certification. It seems like everything we see is for NOT new construction. and it seems like when you look at the prices, it is for just the stove and then you need to make sure you get the doors, the frame the blower whatever. We just want all that we need and to know what triple insulated pipe to use with it so we can frame out the hearth/fireplace area. Any ideas????

You can't use an insert WITHOUT a fireplace to INSERT it into. If you want an EPA-Rated Wood Burning Fireplace, that is framed into a wall, look at the Heat & Glo Northstar, the Quadrafire 7100 or something similar. Generally they DO NOT require TRIPLE-WALL pipe. They have chimney pipe which is designed to be used with that specific unit. If you want an inefficient Zero-Clearance wood burning fireplace, there are many manufacturers out there & for the most part, do not require triple-wall pipe. Hope this helps

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Hiness58
As Dansky mentioned, a fireplace insert has to be installed into a full masonry fireplace built according to local building codes. It can be very expensive to install, and inserts are usually only installed in houses with a pre-existing masonry fireplace.
I believe you are probable looking for a zero clearance fireplace which is a steel box that is installed in a wooden chase. They have ZC fireplace's which are more for looks and not a lot of heat, or you could install install a very efficient, EPA-approved ZC fireplace.
Triple wall pipe is an older style of pipe, and probable you would be better off with the newer style pipe called Class A , or double wall insinuated pipe, and there are many manufactures of this kind of pipe

Reactions: Hiness58
Tell us more about how the fireplace will be used. Will it be for heating or more just for the ambiance of a fire? 24/7 burning or more like nights and weekends? If for supplemental heating, then will the den be wide open to other parts of the house so that the heat can also fill in adjacent areas? And last, how tall will the ceilings be in the den?

If considering a ZC fireplace and the only space to be heated is the den, then also consider smaller fireplaces in the 2.0 cu ft range. There are several options in that size too.

Tell us more about how the fireplace will be used. Will it be for heating or more just for the ambiance of a fire? 24/7 burning or more like nights and weekends? If for supplemental heating, then will the den be wide open to other parts of the house so that the heat can also fill in adjacent areas? And last, how tall will the ceilings be in the den?

If considering a ZC fireplace and the only space to be heated is the den, then also consider smaller fireplaces in the 2.0 cu ft range. There are several options in that size too.

Hi, I can't thank y'all enough for the replies!! This fireplace will mainly be used ambiance in the winter time but not 24/7 heating. It will be a cathedral ceiling, 18 feet. We are in NC and thankfully it doesn't get too cold.

Hi, I can't thank y'all enough for the replies!! This fireplace will mainly be used ambiance in the winter time but not 24/7 heating. It will be a cathedral ceiling, 18 feet. We are in NC and thankfully it doesn't get too cold.

Personally, I would never install one of those cheaper ZC fireplaces -- just go with a gas fireplace for ambiance. If you install a ZC fireplace, then spend the money & install a quality one that you can actually heat with (if ever needing to). I have seen too many of those Ambience style wood units that have been burned out, by people using them too much. Go quality or just go with a gas unit for the occasional ambience fire -- many of the newer gas logs are really a realistic looking fire.

Personally, I would never install one of those cheaper ZC fireplaces -- just go with a gas fireplace for ambiance. If you install a ZC fireplace, then spend the money & install a quality one that you can actually heat with (if ever needing to). I have seen too many of those Ambience style wood units that have been burned out, by people using them too much. Go quality or just go with a gas unit for the occasional ambience fire -- many of the newer gas logs are really a realistic looking fire.

Well, we live in the woods and we want a wood fireplace, it's not like it will be "for looks" only. But we have plenty of fuel and a gas tank is not an option. But thank you!

You have lots of choices. Recently some of the mainstream stove mfgs. have adapted their fireboxes to the ZC fireplace format. Look up threads here on Valcourt, Regency and Pacific Energy ZC fireplaces. Also, maybe take a look at the RSF line of fireplaces.