What wood stove for a Viking Themed Man-Cave

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Vikinanator

Nov 7, 2018
Indy
OK guys,
I've found this forum to be an very, very helpful. And Ive learned a great deal.
But here's the my problem.

I have a Viking themed man-cave... And I mean shields, axes, swords and drinking horns...lol
Its approx 670 sq/ft in a remodeled garage. I'm have trouble deciding on the stove to heat it.
Things that are important to me:
Burn time/log size, Theme nautical, Window size/ ambiance & weight and of course PRICE!
Here are the units of looked at:
Jøtul F 400 Castine
Regency Hampton® H300
Quada-Fire Explorer II
DutchWest stoves
Buck Stoves Model 94NC

You get the idea...

Any advice, suggestions or recommendations of units I've not see yet would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
A Thelin parlor wood stove might look cool there. Otherwise go Norwegian with the Jotul or Danish with a Morso.

Screen Shot 2018-11-07 at 9.51.33 PM.png

Reactions: Jan Pijpelink
Woodstock survival hybrid perhaps. For your area. Guessing you can specify design with this one also.

The survival might be ok. 650 sq ft needs to be kept in mind.

A little Morso 2B would be cool.

Let us know what you end up choosing, with pics!

Guessing your excited for the new season of "Vikings" ! Should be starting soon.

Do you know about the Draken Harald Harfagre? It's back in Mystic, CT after sailing the eats coast for the summer. My wife and I gave tours on it every weekend at Mystic in 2017.

https://www.drakenhh.com/

There's a Friend's FB page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/277020215675452/ Also a ship FB page.

Lots of videos online. They may be looking for 2019 crew. Keep checking the web site.

I'm thinking a campfire in the middle of the floor is most authentic.

Log size unlimited!

:)

On a more serious note, how much heat do you actually want out of it, and will there be other sources of heat for when the fire isn't burning?

I'd go with some sort of fireplace. Depending on the efficiency wanted, it could be a a giant masonry unit of traditional design, or a very efficient modern unit set in a stone surround. The options are endless.

Personally, if I invite a bunch of guys over for a viking themed party, a woodstove seems tame. I want an open fire.

I miss Ragnar. Will be interesting to see what his psycho son does this year, blood eagle?

d6g7Vr2DAACz2OrWqVjp.jpg
LOL.. you guys are great! Speaking of Lagertha...my bathroom (throne) is going to be a replica of hers...No sh#@ Not as big though...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm thinking a campfire in the middle of the floor is most authentic.

Log size unlimited!

:)

On a more serious note, how much heat do you actually want out of it, and will there be other sources of heat for when the fire isn't burning?

I'd go with some sort of fireplace. Depending on the efficiency wanted, it could be a a giant masonry unit of traditional design, or a very efficient modern unit set in a stone surround. The options are endless.

Personally, if I invite a bunch of guys over for a viking themed party, a woodstove seems tame. I want an open fire.

I actually thought of having one if my MN friend pound me out a large Brass fire kettle like they used to use. (870 AD - 980 AD)
But my 'Great Hall' isn't great or drafty enough to dissipate the smoke...

Ok. So it looks like a stand alone garage, that no longer holds vehicles. Due to gas explosion concerns, some insurance companies have major issues with solid fuel appliances in garages.

Assuming the insurance company is game, how about some sort of imposing riverstone construction?

7c30067b91946a56510bb631cc1bb59d.jpg

Depending on the design, it could be built to suck the smoke out of your kettle.

It would also suck the heat out of the place, but with enough radiant heat, or with enough extra heat from other sources, it might not be an issue.

I still can't believe I'm going to do it...
I've decided on the Jotul Oslo F500 CF.
Yes, the wife is going to kill me! Luckily I have sword and shield for the onslaught...