What would be the ultimate , perfect chimney height ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HDRock

Minister of Fire
Oct 25, 2012
Grand Blanc, Mi
Lopi 1750, 6" stove pipe to ceiling box, 8" diameter chimney., Chimney is about 9'6"
It is 15' total stove top to cap, straight up. Roof is 6/12 , there is 4.5 ft. of chimney pipe above the roof , quite a bit of trees all around my property .
So, What would be the ultimate , perfect chimney height be?? . Is there a perfect chimney height ??
IF , I was to add some chimney pipe , how much would be best, 2ft, 3, 4 or ??

The stove was designed for the 15' 6" straight up chimney used for EPA testing. Therefore...

"6.11.1 Steel flue pipe extending to 2.6 ± 0.15 m (8.5
± 0.5 ft) above the top of the platform scale, and above
this level, insulated solid pack type chimney extending to1407
4.6 ± 0.3 m (15 ± 1 ft) above the platform scale, and of the
size specified by the wood heater manufacturer. This
applies to both freestanding and insert type wood heaters."

Mike Holton can tell ya since he was there in the lab that day I met the guy that developed my 30-NC. I said I had 21' straight up to the sky and Bob kinda gasped.

Last edited:
The stove was designed for the 15' 6" straight up chimney used for EPA testing. Therefore...

Yea, 15.5 feet of chimney to match the stove collar.

Is that 15' 6" from floor or top of stove ?

Is that 15' 6" from floor or top of stove ?

Whatever the manual says. You want the minimum on a non-cat to prevent overdraft and loss of efficiency.

The perfect chimney height would be automatically adjusted by a system that constantly collected lots of weather data and stove temperature data and extended or lowered the chimney height to maintain optimum draft. Fairly pricey, though. :rolleyes:

Whatever the manual says. You want the minimum on a non-cat to prevent overdraft and loss of efficiency.
Manual says 15' minimum floor to cap, I have 17' floor to cap

You be fine.

Manual says 15' minimum floor to cap, I have 17' floor to cap

A good part of which is 8 inch.

You are just going to need to play around and see what you have. Try adding a few feet of single wall to the top this winter for a test for a day or two to see if there's a difference if you aren't sure the performance is where it should be. If that helps, drop the $$$ on the real deal class A extension.

Otherwise, as of now, you are exactly as BB said.

pen

Try adding a few feet of single wall to the top this winter for a test for a day or two to see if there's a difference if you aren't sure the performance is where it should be. If that helps, drop the $$$ on the real deal class A extension.
Good idea , still have some 8" stove pipe

...stop fretting about it. :)

Yup, for now. See how it performs during the burning season and if you think a height change would improve it, give it a try. You have plenty of flue to begin burning & see how the system works as is. Nothing to obsess about (in any case). Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.