what would you do -alter old brick chimney or new put stainless ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Oct 16, 2015
bc canada
tear out old brick and go stainless pipe ?I have this old brick chimney with a wood stove in my shop. I stuck a Liner down it and have used it a few years. works great but had to smash out bigger hold it get it in. Now I need to put the wood stove in the other side of the building, on the other side of the wall so I could use this brick still if I patch the old hole I guess, so I either have to patch up the ugly rough hole with new brick and then go on the other side of the brick and cut a new hole, and then put the Liner and (and proper bits this time like black pipe to stove) to put the wood stove on the other side. This is a single walled (no masonry liner) old brick chimney, it does have old creoste buildup but it will have a stainless liner. It's in ok shape but might need some retuck outside on the mortar and inside there is a crack in the mortar at that base, it isn't leaning. I don't have to worry about inspections, really, if I use this original brick and stay quiet I am probably more safe with my insurance and city .. but I would be willing to not worry and put stainless ...
I am thinking this brick would come out fairly easily (hope). then my stove on't need a 45 degree bent and could go straight up.
I wish the stainless parts were cheaper though, it's going to cost something and then I will have to flash this hole and stuff. It might attract attention form insurance for whatnot as it might no longer look like it was there from before. It looks like it might be way quicker to fix the brick, I like the look of the bring though. The chimmy brick is actually inside the finished room that needs to have the heat now, and it's kind of attractive I guess.

here are some pictures to get an idea. I put the stainless chimmney Liner directly to the stove without he use of the black stove pipe. Works way better than it did before it had no liner and the stove pipe had rust holes ! now time to make things better.

Attachments

• what would you do -alter old brick chimney or new put stainless ?
    unnamed-3.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 111
    unnamed-4.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 102
    unnamed-5.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
I would correctly alter the brick. Looks like your moving it to the other side to work on this side. If its permanent to the other side now, make it correct.

I would correctly alter the brick. Looks like your moving it to the other side to work on this side. If its permanent to the other side now, make it correct.
hi.. will do.. is the way this liner comes right threw the brick a big deal ? it seems to work great and avoided all the t, thimble snout stuff. maybe this time connecting the black pipe directly to the liner with a coupling ?