What would you pay for a Greenwood 100?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SolarAndWood

Minister of Fire
Feb 3, 2008
Syracuse NY
I have read the horror story threads on the Greenwood and know they are bankrupt. But, there are deals to be had. First, would you consider it? If so, how much would you pay for a brand new still on the skid 100 and why?

SolarAndWood said:
I have read the horror story threads on the Greenwood and know they are bankrupt. But, there are deals to be had. First, would you consider it? If so, how much would you pay for a brand new still on the skid 100 and why?

I think I recall that the heavily-promoted post-company-collapse specials were over $2k but well under 3-- which didn't strike me as any kind of bargain given the number of issues that people were having (condensation/ rusting exteriors needing replacement after only a few seasons) and the fact that this design, while appealingly simple and mostly robust, is definitely 'behind the curve' compared to other existing and emerging boiler options. The fact that new-old-stock units are still available despite deep discounts, over a year after the company went out, says something....

Ask some of the folks on here what they have spent to rebuild the exterior casing, and then factor that materials plus nuisance cost into what you might pay, as apparently that's a foreseeable likelihood after only a few winters.

$1,500.00 and no more. Just my opinion, it's probably worth more. Opinions are like a$$ holes every one has one.

Two advantages of the RMND design

1)Very simple design. (Unfortunatly this does not always translate into simple operation)
2)Deals with 'wetter' wood better than Euro-style forced downdrafts (based on others' comments here)

I think the value would depend on the user and his situation. I think you build your own for $1,000 in materials. And many of us would make enhancements that - hopefully - would improve the operation. But then you gotta factor in your time. And opportunity cost. Let's say purchasing the GW saves Oil for a few years till you can purchase your first choice unit aka Viessmann. Spend 1.5k for two years use is prolly worth it in that scenario. Unfortunatly the first two years are looking straight up the learning curve. Helluva' neckache. :smirk:

I think a Greenwood 100 is worth 2500-3K all day long. I have cut my wood consumption in half and I keep my house plenty warm. It burns cleaner and puts out as much if not more heat then the ole smoke dragons I used to have...

I hate to admit it but I would buy a 200 if I could find it cheap enough (1500 or less) you have to figure in the modifying costs. Mainly someway to clean the d--- thing. If they were cleanable easily that would be huge. I really like the fact that you don't have to split the wood any smaller than fits through the door. You have to question the quality of the refractory also. My Adobe is just about wore through on the bottom rows. Good Luck

ok, sounds like a non-starter.

Status
Not open for further replies.