What's in your stacks?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I was really tempted to make up some tree species and see how long it took someone to call it out: monkey oak, neon ash and peach beech in my imaginary piles.

Ah, for real, I have two big long runs of 2.5 year old black locust CSS that is stacked a solid 4' high+. That has to be 5-6 cord right there. I've burned my way through about a cord of a cherry, ash and maple mix since late September and I have 1 more cord remaining of that.

Just counting what's actually in the stacks and not down on the ground in the woodlot, I have another 3+/- cords of red oak that I just recently processed from the last time I felled a tree (aka the week my daughter was born last November). With her almost on her feet now, hoping to get back out into the woods this winter and clear a whole gaggle of white ash off the site of a future apple orchard in our back 9.

bfitz, hear ya on the poplar. Been liking it this fall too. How does the beech compare to others. Somewhere between ash and oak? 2 yr beech will be my hot stash for this year.

Around here I would say beech is right up there with the other primo hardwoods when it comes to firewood.

Reactions: FaithfulWoodsman
I was really tempted to make up some tree species and see how long it took someone to call it out: monkey oak, neon ash and peach beech in my imaginary piles.
. . ..

I like your thinking. Every April 1st I kick myself because I keep thinking that in the fall I should gather up a bunch of different leafs from different trees, cut them up, tape them together (or go all new school and photoshop them together) to create some Frankenstein looking leaf and then ask folks to identify the tree species here. I keep forgetting to do so though . . .

Small pile of oak - CSS March 2012
Row of oak, ash and hazel mixed - CSS May 2013
Small row of holly - CSS Oct 2013
Big row of oak - CSS Jun 2014
Big row silver birch - CSS Jun 2014
Two rows sycamore - CSS Oct 2014
Three rows oak - CSS Apr 2015
Two rows sycamore - CSS Sep 2015

All under cover

I think I have about 12-13 cord total.

5 cord of 3 year seasoned red oak
2 cord of 3 year seasoned black birch
1 cord of 3 year seasoned soft maple

2 cord of 2 year seasoned red oak
2 cord of 2 year seasoned white pine

1 cord freshly split red oak

My current stacks are composed of roughly.
3 cord sawtooth oak
2 cord of southern red oak
2 cord chestnut oak
1 cord of pignut hickory
2 cord of white poplar
1 cord persimmon/dog wood/black gum mix
Yesterday I scored a dump truck load of elm and hackberry. I'm not sure how many cord it will stack.
7505d92ec321fe4446afe517b55616fb.jpg

Around here I would say beech is right up there with the other primo hardwoods when it comes to firewood
Stoked to hear that. 3-4 days next week in single digit lows and below 0 chills. Will be putting it in the "ready" shed this weekend before the snow hits.

Yesterday I scored a dump truck load of elm and hackberry. I'm not sure how many cord it will stack.
Nice pic. Never burned any hackberry, but hear it's decent stuff. Is yours the northern variety with the warty bark or the southern smooth bark stuff?

I don't have nearly as much as most of you, but I'm a part time burner. I have almost 2 cords of white oak, 2 cords ash, 1 cord mulberry, 1 cord red elm, 1/2 cord hickory, 1/2 cord apple, and 1/2 cord miscellaneous, like silver maple, hackberry, black cherry, and honey locust.

Nice pic. Never burned any hackberry, but hear it's decent stuff. Is yours the northern variety with the warty bark or the southern smooth bark stuff?

I've never seen a smooth bark hack berry. We have sugar berry "Celtis laevigata" which is a very close relative to hack berry "Celtis occidentalis" there is really no taxonomical difference between the two only their range. They both have warty bark. I would be interested to see a smooth bark one. Do you happen to know the Latin?

Whoops that's the one I meant ......Sugar berry. I didn't realize hack berry went as far south as you. Learned something new.

Reactions: StihlKicking
Dobish,

I see you have a bunch of Russian Olive. I seem to recall somewhere someone said they did not like it because of its smell.

Back in the 50's and 60's the Extension Service was pushing them for windbreaks. Now however, they are on the noxious plant list and they are trying to get rid of them. I see them occasionally, but have stayed away from them.

Could you give us a little feedback of burning them regarding smell, splitting, btu's, etc?

So I loaded up a full load of Russian Olive last night at around 11pm. It caught right up from coals, and burned pretty hot. It was -7º outside last night, and after about 10 minutes I was able to re-engage the cat. In pretty much no time, the cat temp was up at around 1500º and I could hear it roaring in the back. no flames in front, just a few secondaries and smoldering. i cut the air to almost nothing and went to bed. I checked the stove at 7:30 and there were still some coals, but stove temp was 230º and the cat temp was as cold as the thermometer goes. Room was at 63º, which is lower than it normally is at that time.

The smoke smells a bit like cat pee, and it was really noticeable when it was a full load and sub-par draft. I had a bit of smoke puff out of the stove, and now I can't get the smell out of my nose. When it is mixed in with other stuff, it is not that noticeable.

I've got about 2 cords of red oak (with another cord or so waiting to be split), 2/3 cord of white oak, 1/4 cord of pine, and about 1 cord of mixed red maple, pignut hickory, poplar, and cherry. The oak needs another year or two, but I think I can burn the rest this winter. Not a massive stash but all split by hand (well, by ax at least). I don't want to get too far ahead because I might be moving in a couple of years and can't take it with me!

So I loaded up a full load of Russian Olive last night at around 11pm. It caught right up from coals, and burned pretty hot. It was -7º outside last night, and after about 10 minutes I was able to re-engage the cat. In pretty much no time, the cat temp was up at around 1500º and I could hear it roaring in the back. no flames in front, just a few secondaries and smoldering. i cut the air to almost nothing and went to bed. I checked the stove at 7:30 and there were still some coals, but stove temp was 230º and the cat temp was as cold as the thermometer goes. Room was at 63º, which is lower than it normally is at that time.

The smoke smells a bit like cat pee, and it was really noticeable when it was a full load and sub-par draft. I had a bit of smoke puff out of the stove, and now I can't get the smell out of my nose. When it is mixed in with other stuff, it is not that noticeable.
Thanks for the update Dobish. Not sure if I have any of that around me, prob not. Like you said maybe burn it with some of your cherry or honey locust to cover the odor. Sounds like decent shoulder would.

Thanks for the update Dobish. Not sure if I have any of that around me, prob not. Like you said maybe burn it with some of your cherry or honey locust to cover the odor. Sounds like decent shoulder would.

Yeah, mixing it with elm or maple or even a piece or two of pine cuts the smell. i scrounged the Russian olive, cut to length, so it was sort of a no-brainer. My locust won't be ready until next year for sure, nor will be box elder, so it is pretty much all shoulder wood right now! I wish I hadn't gone through the maple when I did, but it was some of the driest.

Not a big mix here but in full cords:

7 - Red oak
2 - Aspen
8 - Maple
1 - Black cherry

Something like......

3 cord red oak
3 cord ash
2.5 cord bitternut hickory
1 cord mix of red & sugar maple
1 cord beech
2/3 cord tulip poplar
1/3 cord shagbark hickory
3 or 4 wheelbarrows of Hornbeam

red oak - 6 cord
white oak - 1 cord
red maple - 3 cord
blue spruce - 1/2 cord
eastern white pine - 1/2 cord

bunch of pine logs
lots of dead standing pine from SPB

20 cords split and stacked, another 10 in the round. Probably 80% oak, with small amounts of hickory, ash, hard maple, and sassafras. No softwoods, other than the occasional cedar that falls in the yard, mostly split for kindling.

@St. Coemgen, what's Turkey Oak? Not familiar with that.

20 cords split and stacked, another 10 in the round. Probably 80% oak, with small amounts of hickory, ash, hard maple, and sassafras. No softwoods, other than the occasional cedar that falls in the yard, mostly split for kindling.

@St. Coemgen, what's Turkey Oak? Not familiar with that.
Do you burn sassafras regularly? I have tons of it growing around an old horse pasture that I plan to drop down but I thought it was junk...was going to reserve it for summer outdoor burns.

Probably 80% oak,
I'm amazed at how many have their largest percentage in oak. We have lots around here, but I rarely get a chance at one. i try hard to find em although I never have anyone let me cut down live. Always from road crews or dead ones I get permission to.

About 10+ cords total (~6 cord c/s/s in 2015):
  • bur oak: 3.5 cord
  • green/ white ash: 2.5 cord
  • Osage: 1.5- cord
  • black oak: 1 cord
  • white oak: .5 cord
  • hickory: .5 cord
  • Misc.: remainder (beech, black locust, honeylocust, mulberry, Norway spruce)

Geeze, I didn't know I had to be an accountant to stack wood.

4 cord red oak
a bunch of cherry
4 cord mix of maple, ash, black birch, oak
1/4 cord pine