What's the best time of year to get a good deal on ordering firewood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My experience is that the price doesnt change much thoughout the year. Availabilty and quality on the other hand can change drastically. I would say mid to late summer is the best time because last years cuts have had about 15months to dry and the quality should be good. Go later and you may get this years wood. I'm sure it changes from area to area and others will chime in I'm sure.

I would say April may demand is down and if you get it process it you have 6 months of exposure before using it to season and dry it. The sooner the better now or a month from now
getting seasoned fire wood now would be costly especially with today's weather

What elk said.

What Elk and Eric said....

If you buy green wood now and let it dry all summer, it should be more or less ready to burn by next winter. If you buy log lengths that were cut in the winter, they tend to have less sap (i.e. moisture content) and if they were harvested when the ground was frozen and/or snow covered, they'll have little or no mud/rocks/dirt/etc. to contend with when you cut them up. Timing is everything with that approach, but if you can pull it off, you'll be a happier wood burner.

One more reason to establish a relationship with a local logger.

Not just any logger but one with a self loading truck. Or is there a fancy way for a log truck to dump logs? Of course a dumptruck full of logs is another option.

In my area, the snow is about to melt and a whole mess of logging operations will begin at the same time which means a whole lot of scroungers will be collecting waste logs at the same time which will lower the price of firewood. It will be green wood and will have time to dry for this winter if stored properly through the summer.

Right now is the best time in terms of cheapness and amount fo drying time.

You can either dump the load or unload logs with a loader. It just depends on how the truck is set up. You'll get about a cord more with a dump body on a tri-axle log truck.

I like to drink as much as the next guy, but I don't think I'd want to buy wood from anybody who hangs out at a bar on Saturday morning. Remember, this guy is going to be driving a heavily-laden truck through your neighborhood and onto your property, then putting the logs down in the right place. You get the idea.

Look up "consultant foresters" in your yellow pages and ask them to recommend a logger. Or, you could call a local sawmill with the same question. These people deal with loggers all the time and know who would be best for your situation. They might even arrange it for you.

Finally, be prepared to pay cash on delivery. Loggers prefer cash because it doesn't bounce.

Status
Not open for further replies.