Whats the best way to cut this crotch ???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HDRock

Minister of Fire
Oct 25, 2012
Grand Blanc, Mi
Each trunk is about 15", below that IDK, but is to heavy :)

IMG_20121218_141752.jpg

When I get them like that I stand it on end and split off the outside half of each trunk, from the top, with a maul or wedge. Then I whittle it down with the maul until what is left will fit in the stove. I usually get somewhere between 60% & 75% into clean splits. If I can't get it small enough for the stove then the remains end up on the uglie pile. I don't like to noodle it with the saw since the croch is usually full of dirt & grit that ruins my chain.

KaptJaq

Reactions: Boog
If its most anything but Elm,a good strong hit from the maul about in the middle of each center usually does the trick,Dont go past the middle though,fibers are too tough to separate without hydraulics.But if it IS Elm or something else extra tough -Just like it sits there,right down the middle.Good sharp chain I could be through that in less than 45 seconds.

When I get them like that I stand it on end and split off the outside half of each trunk, from the top, with a maul or wedge. Then I whittle it down with the maul until what is left will fit in the stove. I usually get somewhere between 60% & 75% into clean splits. If I can't get it small enough for the stove then the remains end up on the uglie pile. I don't like to noodle it with the saw since the croch is usually full of dirt & grit that ruins my chain.

KaptJaq

I do exactly as KptJaq does, split it from the outsides in till the middle left will fit in my stove (I don't have to go far cause my door is 11x13"). Save the wear on your saw & chain, split it down.

Dont go past the middle though,fibers are too tough to separate without hydraulics.

Good tip, it's Maple split some 10" with the x25 when I got home.
I just need it lighter, to load it up

I do exactly as KptJaq does, split it from the outsides in till the middle left will fit in my stove (I don't have to go far cause my door is 11x13"). Save the wear on your saw & chain, split it down.

Never measured my door before it's 10x14, fire box is 2ft x 3ft

Each trunk is about 15", below that IDK, but is to heavy :)

View attachment 85541

Well that was certainly a poor cut when they cut the tree. If you have hydraulics then I'd split it right down the crotch then resplit each side. Easily done with the hydraulics.

Reactions: nate379
I
Well that was certainly a poor cut when they cut the tree. If you have hydraulics then I'd split it right down the crotch then resplit each side. Easily done with the hydraulics.

I cut the tree !!! I guess I should have found out how to cut the tree right first ;lol, So what would have been the right way ?????

Exactly what I was going to post and what we did yesterday on a couple pieces of that white oak. Having a hydraulic splitter is just so nice.

Quads has a video for hand splitting a crotch. Not sure it is accessible now, was on the old forum set-up
Makes it look easy.
He cuts his own wood though & his crotches are cut much better ;)

Reactions: HDRock
Quads has a video for hand splitting a crotch. Not sure it is accessible now, was on the old forum set-up
Makes it look easy.
He cuts his own wood though & his crotches are cut much better ;)
Thanks found Vid

So, I should have cut one "leg" off flush with the rest of the trunk ???

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I usually make crotches "uglies" for one off fires or
pieces for the outside fire pit ;)
Have to see Quad's video again to remember how he cut them.

Thanks found Vid

So, I should have cut one "leg" off flush with the rest of the trunk ???

That's the trick. It will cut a bit harder because it is similar to the noodling others like to do. But that is the right way to cut all limbs off the trees and it will certainly make the stacking go much easier too.

If its most anything but Elm,a good strong hit from the maul about in the middle of each center usually does the trick,Dont go past the middle though,fibers are too tough to separate without hydraulics.But if it IS Elm or something else extra tough -Just like it sits there,right down the middle.Good sharp chain I could be through that in less than 45 seconds.
45 seconds? Want to buy a good chainsaw?:)

Gary

The way I remember quads doing it is make both legs even and set it on those legs and split down the middle from the joined end (so you are splitting both legs at once, do not try going the other way as it is futile). It has worked well for me with Oak and some other straight grained wood, even works on cherry, locust etc. Some are just too tough, but if you have hydraulics it makes it easy. Before I got hydraulics and I had a nasty one I would just leave it.

Gary
Using razor sharp full skip 28" chain & rakers lowered a bit extra.That's for ripping a 24"+ diameter super hard Honey Locust w/gnarly grain and or knots.Straight grain I can be through it in half the time.Dual ported muffler really makes it growl now.::-) The quicker I get done,the quicker I can move on to other projects & get paid.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage

Gary

I have a good saw thanks anyway.
I was going to just cut the crotch down the middle , but I had a full load for the day , so I figured, I would get it later and ask some more experienced people on here , because if you're unsure and you don't ask , well !!

Reactions: OldLumberKid
Using razor sharp full skip 28" chain & rakers lowered a bit extra.That's for ripping a 24"+ diameter super hard Honey Locust w/gnarly grain and or knots.Straight grain I can be through it in half the time.Dual ported muffler really makes it growl now.::-) The quicker I get done,the quicker I can move on to other projects & get paid.

That's the way to do it!!!

Being a hand splitter that is three years ahead, I leave stuff like that in the woods.

it's a good excuse to build a fire pit...

Reactions: OldLumberKid
Status
Not open for further replies.