What's Your Stove's Practical Firebox Dimensions?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
How about giving this a whirl? There are a lot of stove owners represented here. Many times it's hard to find the practical firebox dimensions of a particular model. That is, the size of the maximum rectangular box that could fit inside. The manufacturer sometimes publishes the total ft3 of the firebox.

I'll start:

Stove Make and Model: Hampton HI300 insert
Measured Practical Firebox Dimensions: 19.25"l x 18.25"w x 10.75"h
Measured Practical Firebox Capacity: 2.19 ft3
Manufacturer's Stated Firebox Capacity: 2.3 ft3.

Too bloody small! But she's all I have and there ain't no more.
Jotul F3CB
19 inches wide x 10 inches deep x 10 inches (or so) high
1.1 ft3 ( I think)
?

I won, I won! I got a trophy. Wow, a hundred posts of inane babble on my part.

Where do you consider to be the "top" of the firebox -- the bottoms of the secondary tubes?

When I measured my Osburn Matrix (insert, but I assume the freestanding version is the same) I wasn't quite as precise as you are being with the fractional measurements but I believe it was very close to 21" E-W between the firebricks. N-S is 16" from the back firebrick to the door glass, but it's impractical to use all that depth because ash falls on the lip inside the door and makes a mess when you open it later. It's better to think of the N-S dimension as 14". I haven't measured the height, and can't do it right now because it's a bit warm in there for my tape measure.

Where do you consider to be the "top" of the firebox -- the bottoms of the secondary tubes?

When I measured my Osburn Matrix (insert, but I assume the freestanding version is the same) I wasn't quite as precise as you are being with the fractional measurements but I believe it was very close to 21" E-W between the firebricks. N-S is 16" from the back firebrick to the door glass, but it's impractical to use all that depth because ash falls on the lip inside the door and makes a mess when you open it later. It's better to think of the N-S dimension as 14". I haven't measured the height, and can't do it right now because it's a bit warm in there for my tape measure.

Yes the bottoms of the secondary tubes, and thanks. Waiting to do the height til things cool off would be best. :)

I'd loose a hand If I stuck a ruler in there right now :ZZZ But its going up to the 50s later this week and I will take a measure...

The hitzer 254 I just got has a box 19" wide, 13" deep and 18" tall. The door opening is 17" x 11". Very practical for a small stove.

Great! Great height!

Perhaps I will pore over previous threads to gather more info as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.