Seasoned Oak Posted By Seasoned Oak, Jul 10, 2016 at 10:16 AM

1. Seasoned Oak

Seasoned Oak
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 17, 2008
    Loc:
    Eastern Central PA
    Just giving a heads up to all the land owners here on the hearth site. I just had the opportuntity to try out one of those big 6.75 HP wheeled weed whackers. I dont know why i didnt get one of these things years ago. IT takes out any weed up to 6 ft high ,and small saplings up to about 3/4 inch. Just dont try it too close to the trees you want to keep cuz it will take the bark off . It has no equal at the woods line where lawn meets woods. This year i didnt get to cut the grass till july on my country lot and it was 4 to 6 ft high. i tried to do it slowly with a mower but probably took a few years off the mower lifespan in the process. THis craftsman weed whacker handled it with ease.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    They are great in some kinds of brush but meet their match when trying to tackle a field infested with blackberries. Himalayan blackberries chew through the heavy strings too quickly so one ends up needing a blade to chew through a lot of them.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Seasoned Oak

Seasoned Oak
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 17, 2008
    Loc:
    Eastern Central PA
    All kinds of HD strings available including different kinds of blade attachments. The only thing that stopped the string type iv been using are cement blocks. Iv got a lot of briar bushes near the tree line an it makes short work of them. Im looking at the DR trimmer ,it cost a little more than craftsman or husquarva but it think the trimmer mechanism is superior. The one i borrowed is a craftsman. I got my pre-cut .155 HD string on amazon $8 for 36 pieces. This is about 2.5 times thicker than my small electric weed whacker and about twice as thick as my gas whacker.

4. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    That is similar to what I tried, with the same diam. string. Our tough blackberries chewed that stuff up pretty quickly, but I did eventually get the job mostly done with it. I'm going to rent a DR Fields brush hog next time.

5. 7acres

7acres
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 5, 2013
    Loc:
    South East USA
    Reminds me of when I weed whacked my 1 acre 3' high back yard. As my country neighbors would say, "That city boy is new to this."

begreen likes this.
  6. sportbikerider78

sportbikerider78
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jun 23, 2014
    Loc:
    Syracuse, NY
    Keep in mind you can always rent for about $100/day a walk behind brush hog. I'm doing that this fall. Expensive to buy, but a string unit will not 'cut it' for the brush I have to eat through.

7. Dobish

Dobish
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 26, 2015
    Loc:
    Golden CO
    i have posted these other pictures somewhere else, but the brush hog made a difference.... before
    20160611_065018.jpg

and 2 hours after:
    20160611_133851.jpg

it cost me $75

Seasoned Oak likes this.
  8. Dobish

Dobish
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 26, 2015
    Loc:
    Golden CO
    DHT was having a factory sale, and I thought about picking up a wheeled string trimmer for a couple hundred bucks, but decided against it for now....

9. stoveguy2esw

stoveguy2esw
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 14, 2006
    Loc:
    madison hgts. va
    I have one, cant remember the brand but its amazing compared to the old back wreckers ive used in the past. it will eat up some heavy stuff as well uses a square "string" about 3/16ths thick, wish I had one years ago