When’s your first fire?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I started a fire last night. It was 34 degrees Fahrenheit.

The sun came back out so we have held off. Last night we got the house up to 76f baking biscuits in the wood cookstove, but it held us over to this morning.

We've been dropping into the mid-50s at night. Nothing the heat pump can't handle. Won't be burning for a while. High 70s forecast for next week.

Had my first fire last night. House had dropped to 69 during the day, and it was supposed to drop down to 54 over night outside. Half a load in the princess, 12 hrs later still wood left and house at 72, couldn’t of done that with the summit, would of just turned on the furnace....

We are burning today, again. I have put a few small splits left over from last season in the stove, but 90% of our fires have been small lumber scrap fires to chase the chill. The splits were used when I had to get the oven up to 450-500 dF to bake biscuits.

Had my first fire last night. House had dropped to 69 during the day, and it was supposed to drop down to 54 over night outside. Half a load in the princess, 12 hrs later still wood left and house at 72, couldn’t of done that with the summit, would of just turned on the furnace....
Our friends up north heat exclusively with a Summit. They don't like it too hot in their well-insulated house, so they just start a smaller fire and let it go out after a few hours. It works fine. The house holds the heat well throughout the day.

Cleaned my insert, liner, and fireplace yesterday.

Moved wood to fill the hoop on the garage and filled another garbage can with kindling today. Have two full. Won't fill the third until after the leaves are done.

Ready for my first fire, which should be this month.

Tweaked my back somehow. Not moving well. Advil before bed tonight.

Had my first tonight, if I get a couple of days in a row where it doesn’t even hit a high of 60 I do. Generally That’s my start/stop Outside outside temp.

Reactions: PaulOinMA
Same here. Start when daily high temperature is in the 50s.

I previously posted that my average first fire is October 15 - 30 the daily high is in the 50s.

Out of curiosity, I calculated when my average first fire has been since we moved to MA in 2003: October 23.

Last fire: May 8.

Had a couple morning fires the last few days. Been dropping to about 50 for the morning low... and we are north facing and shaded... still its a little overkill. But couldnt resist the urge to fire up the relatively new stove and test the flue probe.

I have a shelburn, I just started the break in burns, which I do every year. 3 super small fires. Enough heat to make cast iron hot; Makes the glass back, I hate that part. Then, I sweep, and rock and roll when nights it 53degrees. Hope every is well and safe

We almost lit our first fire today. It was in the 30s last night and cloudy/rainy today in the 50s. My oldest was at school and loves that first fire of the year. I didn’t have it in me to do it without her. 70 tomorrow, so will probably wait until this weekend

Little late but nonetheless. Think as most pointed out depends on your supply, location, temps and preferences. I’m in northern NV, I still haven’t had our first fire of the season yet. Our temps are at night currently are 30-40 but the fall 20-30s are beginning to creep up but we still get plenty of solar gain with highs 60-80. For me it’s usually mid October ish to November when the stove gets lit. This morning got home from work house was at 65, but still have the solar heat that I don’t need the stove yet. Usually my trigger point is temp < 65 in mornings and forecasted weather that doesn’t indicate my solar gain will get me back up to the comfortable 70 ish. But as they say to each their own!

My wife is at the cabin, a bit under the weather. Rainy and cold this morning. I said make a fire. A few hours later I see a facebook picture of the stove running with a nice looking fire. The first of the year.

Reactions: PaulOinMA
Almost tonight, October 12. Temperature low 50s and cloudy all day. Wife didn't want one tonight since we had a Zoom meeting and she didn't know where we were going to do it from.

50s tomorrow, then 70s for few days.

Nan is leaving Saturday to take her parents to OBX for a week. Returning here Monday, October 26.

I will only have a fire myself next week if it's really cold.

Reactions: logfarmer
Just finished last nite getting the rest of my wood in the barn for the winter. Low 60’s at nite and 70’s-80 during the day this past wk but is cooling back down this wk to the upper 30’s so it will be soon! I still need to get up on the roof to sweep yet
E854279A-78FE-4576-851A-358B9872B28A.jpeg069FFEC1-DB15-4705-8AD1-0BD95C73938B.jpeg

Lit my first fire this season (low 60's outside at noon). Unfortunately, shortly after the fire was started, smoke started pouring out of the back of the stove, limiting visibility in the living room rather quickly.
It's been such a long summer, I totally forgot that I shouldn't run our (admittedly high-power) kitchen vent at the same time the stove was running. Or at least crack open a window.

Ouch.

Turns out our home is quite tight after all...

Yesterday was the very first fire. New PE Neo1.6le insert…ordered from Tom O/Chimney Sweep in July 2019, installed July 2020 annnd finally burning. Yesterday was the very first fire to get it cured; low 60’s, able to have the house open and not raining. Today in Bham, 57, windy and pouring rain…Mrs who is a teacher working from home, says I’m cold, can you start another fire? Its been a long journey with many delays and an upset Mrs along the way…however she is now thrilled. I’m loving it, so simple and easy to start up, cruise easily at a slow burn with air intake shut down and the secondaries with a lazy flame at about 530 and going upwards to about 590 on a hot burn per laser gun on the tubes. Curing was straight forward with little stink. Wish we could have fit in a 2.5 but the 1.6 will seemingly work fine (just loading more often) with us only heating about 800sqft most of the time.

Attachments

• DSCF9873.JPG
    DSCF9873.JPG
    137.8 KB · Views: 89
  • DSCF9869.JPG
    DSCF9869.JPG
    118.4 KB · Views: 85
Last edited: