When’s your first fire?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Well, I was going to light a fire this morning but it warmed back up.

Third week of Sept is supposed to be average first frost here. And frost predicted tonight. Feels odd with the leaves on the trees, but so it goes. Three splits and some kindling shouldn't give off heat for real long.

Attachments

• 0918201857a.jpg
    0918201857a.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 115
Reactions: kennyp2339
36 tonight, high of 62 tomorrow and then back down to 36 again, might need some to open up some shipyard and test the stove, to be determined though.

This may be the dumbest question ever but I’ve been staring at my wood shed and stove all summer and it’s that time of year to start getting ready haha. We’ve had some cool nights and the wife and kids always say “let’s start a fire”! Obviously it’s too early, but what’s your sign for starting it up??? My parents heated with wood for as long as I can remember and my dad would always say have enough wood ready to burn wood so on a chilly October day you can have a fire and not worry about your supply in the spring. I have plenty of seasoned wood and I do love the stove. I do not love a 100Deg house though ha!
We usually start burning our shoulder season wood on the 15th of September but this year we started a few days early but we've only had a total of six fires so far. Last year we didn't start burning until September 25.

We've had some cooler nights with the days only reaching the low 60's lately so the wood heat feels nice.

We're still running our AC around here, and highs are in the mid-80s with mid-60s lows, so no fire for now. But I intend to start once the gas furnace has to kick in to keep the house comfortable, so maybe late October or thereabouts...?

Reactions: thewoodlands
Our house is in the low 60's downstairs, but comfortable in the bedrooms today. Not sure if I want to light a fire or not.

The first chance I get when it will not run us out of the room. :)

My wife gets home from work an hour after I do and the first thing she looks at when she rounds the corner to our living room is the woodstove. If it’s rolling on a cold day her smile makes my day. She is from the south so she bundles up like a kid from the Christmas Story up here. I love that she has embraced that deep heat a woodstove brings.

Got down to 38 this morning, I closed the windows yesterday evening, the house held temps pretty well, so we'll see what we get with solar gain today, if it isnt a lot of gain, I might fire the stove up this evening, this is going to be a wait and see.

Very unusual weather the past several days (maybe week) at least 8-10 deg cooler than avg. Then last Wed a spike to 26*C. one fire in the VC (short eve one). Have been spending lots of time at the lake. On my forth fire in the Princess so far. She is simmering as i type. Loaded her up with hemlock (six splits) yesterday around 2:00pm will reload around 2:00 today since it is to drop to around 0*C tonight.

We had 28 this morning with another pine fire going while we had coffee.

There's plenty of winter coming to burn, no need to rush it. I normally do an evening burn when the leaves are coming down in a cold rain. Sometime in late October.

Reactions: Bushels20
Last week was a unseasonably cold here. More like late Oct weather. Hence few fires here and there. Fuel is no issue, plenty of it readily available. If cold, light a fire.

I usually start the second week of October. We are having a few 40 degree overnights and the house just dropped under 65, so I ran the Soot Eater and started a small fire tonight. We will be back in the 70s in a few days and the stove will likely go dark for another week or two.

Brushed the flue Saturday morning. First time since March-2019, so would include a spring, fall, spring, fall sequence. About a pint or so, or what's in the container. It was a little darker than normal, but trying to get it to go off just made it glow a little. I've been able to light up real creosote before, and watch the flame front and all the crackling, but this was having none of that.
I thought it was interesting though:
The flue tends to drop some of it's fly ash over time, and it lands on a ledge inside the stoves flue collar. Usually it's a light gray, nothing to look twice at. This time - it had layers - hmm - fall dark, winter light, spring dark --. The last layer, this fall was dark again.
I'm not one to be in the 5gallon group, so this stuff got my attention a little.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    433.4 KB · Views: 100
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    339.2 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
Made it down to 34 this morning, house stayed warm though, no need to have a fire yet here, I almost did one, got close but now we are going back into the upper 60's for high temps and low 50's at night, to much solar gain here to warrant a fire, going to have to wait for that rainy chilly day here.

Just checked the weather. It looks like no fires here until at least next Tue.

Two days ago. Probably one of the earliest first fires in the past 7 years. Then again, I don't have to ration firewood this year so I will start a fire if I feel a chill and enjoy it even if I only need it for 3-4 hours until the sun warms the house.