When a saw is suggested it's usually....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

muncybob

Minister of Fire
Apr 8, 2008
Near Williamsport, PA
...either a Husqvarna or Stihl. I'm guessing because of the extensive dealer network and experience. I only know 1 saw after 3 years of cutting and wonder why a Jonesred saw is hardly ever mentioned? The saw I use is on a semi permanent free rental from a good friend that has no use for it now but doesn't want to sell it. It's an older model and perhaps a bit on the heavy side for it's power rating but it seems like a great saw to me, esp now that I seemed to have learned how to use it properly!
Any love out there for the J-Reds?

Reactions: ScotO
Didn't know they still made saws to be honest. The ones I messed with were probably 25-30 years old.

...either a Husqvarna or Stihl. I'm guessing because of the extensive dealer network and experience. I only know 1 saw after 3 years of cutting and wonder why a Jonesred saw is hardly ever mentioned? The saw I use is on a semi permanent free rental from a good friend that has no use for it now but doesn't want to sell it. It's an older model and perhaps a bit on the heavy side for it's power rating but it seems like a great saw to me, esp now that I seemed to have learned how to use it properly!

No dealers near me. Stihl is most common, then Husq, and Echo is a distant third. J'red, Shindy, RedMax, etc all make some good stuff....just don't exist around here because there is no place to buy them...

They (along with the Homelites) were the top choice in our area as far as loggers and firewood cutters back in the day.

Don't know the history but nowadays they are Husky's in different clothes.
Most under rated over looked powerhouse is the Dolmar 7900.

Because Jonsered saws are just Husqvarna saws where someone messed up the handlebar and painted them red. :p

We have a winner! Old JReds are fantastic saws but when talking new saws, the Jred are just as described above.

And yes, Husky and Stihl recommendations come frequently because of the quality of the product AND the support from dealers. Echo, RedMax, Dolmar, etc. are all good products as well but they don't hold a candle to the dealer network offered by Husq/Stihl.

Reactions: DexterDay
I looked at Jonsered, as there is a great dealer nearby. The problem is that their models are almost identical to Husqvarna's (slight ergonomics are usually the only differences) and more expensive. When I was buying, it was down to the 361 or 2156, but the latter was a full pound heavier and $50 more. I think that Jonny's going for the old-timers with brand loyalty. Otherwise, the identical Huskies are less expensive and have a wider network.

S

The saw I'm running is fairly old. Not sure what year but I know it's at least 15 yrs old. The air filter I just picked up also fits Huskys, so I wonder when the J-Reds started the duplication.

Thought you guys might find this interesting its off of Husqvarna corporate website.

Home » About » Brands
Brands

Having a portfolio of brands is essential for maintaining a leading position in a range of price and product categories, appealing to various end-users and throughout sales channels and regions. Husqvarna, Gardena, McCulloch and Diamant Boart are the Group’s core brands.
Husqvarna has long been a strong global premium brand for professional users and consumers who demand high performance. The brand stands for technological leadership, professional performance and high quality. The brand accounts for approximately 48 percent of Group net sales.
Gardena is the leading premium brand for watering products and garden tools in the European consumer market. The offering also includes battery-powered products. The Gardena brand accounted for approxiamely 12% of Group sales.
McCulloch was launched in 2011 and will be available to consumers in the retail channel as of 2012. The range will comprice forestry and garden products.
Diamant Boart is recognized as the global leading brand in the stone industry. The product offering includes a complete range of diamond tools for the processing of natural stone.
Other brands

Husqvarna Group’s tactical brands hold strong positions in regional or local markets, or in specific product categories. The tactical brands create scope for flexibility and can, for example, expand to geographical markets or product categories if required. The Group’s regional brands also hold strong positions in their local markets, but there are no plans to expand them into new markets. Examples of tactical and regional brands are:
Tactical:
  • Jonsered - Professional products and high-performance products for consumers sold by dealers mainly in the Nordic region but also in North America.
  • PoulanPro – Consumer products sold by retailers in North America.
  • WeedEater - Consumer products sold by retailers in North America.
  • Dixon - Professional products sold by dealers in North America.
Regional:
  • Klippo - Professional products and high-performance products for consumers sold mainly by dealers in Scandinavia.
  • Flymo - Consumer products sold by retailers mainly in the UK, the Nordic region and the Netherlands.
  • Zenoah - Professional products and high-performance products for consumers sold by dealers mainly in Japan.
  • Bluebird - Professional products sold by dealers in North America.

Jonesred = Husqvarna

speaking of jonsered, i have an old 450 that needs adjusting,it was running great until brought in for tune up....now it stalls when idling, and has no power when cutting....is there any way to know if the leads in the carb. are shot without taking everything apart? i am a bit nervous about messing with the adjustments.....also, anyone know if the muffler is supposed to be attached to the engine? it looks like it just hangs in front but does not touch engine....kinda wobbly

You should start another discussion just for your Jonsered 450 issues if you want to maximize replies.

Muffler should bolt firmly to the exhaust port of the engine cylinder (or sometimes with a plate in between). A loose muffler can cause issues because 2-cycle engines rely on exhaust gas restrictions in the muffler to keep up compression in the engine.

I prefer Dolmar saws. They just rip wood either in their traditional colors or in the blue and silver Makita colors

Reactions: zzr7ky
The only Jonsered dealer I know of nearby is Tractor Supply and they are sales only - no service or support. Never ran one either...

The only Jonsered dealer I know of nearby is Tractor Supply and they are sales only - no service or support. Never ran one either...
And that is new for this year. My TS stores locally blew out th poulan products and huskys last year and have only J-reds now.

You should start another discussion just for your Jonsered 450 issues if you want to maximize replies.

Muffler should bolt firmly to the exhaust port of the engine cylinder (or sometimes with a plate in between). A loose muffler can cause issues because 2-cycle engines rely on exhaust gas restrictions in the muffler to keep up compression in the engine.
that may explain why it seemed so much louder after getting it back from being ''serviced''.....def. no screen,and something is rattling around inside the muffler.....thanks for the advice, i'm a true newbie

Hi - I am guessing here.

From my point of view it boils down to who is asking? If you are a new power equipment user and will need ot want dealer support you're stuck in the Ford/Chevy situation and that is a fine place to start, even to stay.

However if you're the least bit handy then the Jonsred's, Dolmar/Makita, Echo, Solo are in play.

Hi - I am guessing here.

From my point of view it boils down to who is asking? If you are a new power equipment user and will need ot want dealer support you're stuck in the Ford/Chevy situation and that is a fine place to start, even to stay.

However if you're the least bit handy then the Jonsred's, Dolmar/Makita, Echo, Solo are in play.

I can agree with the support for Stihl and Husqvarna, but in my area there are FAR more Echo dealer/service centers than Stihl and Husqvarna combined. Also, most independant shops around here will work on anything......... If it breaks and you cant fix it, call around. Someone will fix it for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.