When did EPA step in?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bbc557ci

Hearth Supporter
Dec 25, 2007
Central NY State
When did the EPA call for the changes in the newer wood stoves? Was it the mid 1990's??

Reason I ask, I'm an x-contractor, now an ins. claims adjuster (please, don't hold that against me :red: ) I only handle property claims, including all the large fire losses for the company I work for, in my territory. Of the 12-13 years I've been doing this for a living, I have not come accross any fires caused by a newer wood stove.

Thanks !!

There were two phases, I think phase I was 1989 and phase II was 1992?

The basics:
First clean burning stoves were the Concorde Cataltytics about 1982. That was when Corning came up with the cat combustor.
The Kent, a clean burning non-cat from New Zealand, became popular starting in about 1984-5

Oregon and Washington state started with local standards in 1986
EPA had various phase-ins of 1988,1990 and 1992

that is the executive summary

bbc557ci said:
When did the EPA call for the changes in the newer wood stoves? Was it the mid 1990's??

Reason I ask, I'm an x-contractor, now an ins. claims adjuster (please, don't hold that against me :red: ) I only handle property claims, including all the large fire losses for the company I work for, in my territory. Of the 12-13 years I've been doing this for a living, I have not come accross any fires caused by a newer wood stove.

Thanks !!

The EPA is involved since it is responsible for developing and implementing regulations to enforce the Clean Air Act. Particulate standards keep changing--the constant mandate is refining the regulations over time to require smaller/fewer particulate emissions into the atmosphere. The newest standards (PM25) are now in effect after several court challenges. Everyone at the state and federal level agree that no state in the union will be able to meet the PM25 standards. I expect a first step with respect to solid fuel burning may be the imposition of a nationwide ban on the use of non-EPA Phase II stoves. More radical voices with the EPA and among environmentalists may well lobby for a complete ban on individual solid fuel burning. So far, we haven't seen a nominee to head up the EPA. There certainly are individuals within the sphere of influence for the new administration who have fairly radical agendas for the EPA. Hopefully, calmer heads may prevail, especially in light of the economy.

Status
Not open for further replies.