When does everyone start their stove.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
That's going to vary a lot with latitude and elevation. But here in the 'burbs north of Philly, I always have our first overnight fires in October. Last year, that happened as early as Oct.1, but some years it happens as late as Halloween.

Reactions: Itslay90
That's going to vary a lot with latitude and elevation. But here in the 'burbs north of Philly, I always have our first overnight fires in October. Last year, that happened as early as Oct.1, but some years it happens as late as Halloween.
Yeah. I’m under sure if I should start my stove this week. I know some people on here, doesn’t start their stoves till the temperature is down to 40 degrees

Yeah. I’m under sure if I should start my stove this week. I know some people on here, doesn’t start their stoves till the temperature is down to 40 degrees
It depends on your house, as well as consistency in the weather. Given the mass of our old stone house, one morning of 40F in an otherwise warm week isn't enough to have much impact on inside temperature through most of the house. But mornings at 40F in an otherwise cool week will have me sparking up, for at least an overnight burn each night.

On the south coast here in ME I would say mid-Oct.

For me when highs are in the 50’s I usually have an evening fire so I don’t wake up with the cabin in the low 60’s. I’ve had three fires so far this month. As the high temps drop down to the lower 40’s the stove pretty much starts burning 24/7.

Starting around mid October it will be a fire here and there. It really boils down to preference. I like a cool house.. We've beel sleeping with the windows open and the house gets to like 64/65 at night and everyones happy with that. we close the windows in the a.m. and when its 80 outside its 69 in the house when I get home.. happy.. Iv soooo been waiting for this weather.. You start burning when ever it suits you..

I have shifted to waiting until we can burn 24/7. We didn't fire up until late October last year. The heat pump easily carried the shoulder season load and was more cost-effective.

How cold does it get over there ?
Well most days in winter are between 27-34 but getting down to 10-15 will happen at night but generally cold spells do not last long at the ocean.

I'd personally wait until you can light a fire and not have it cook you out of the house. Theres no use heating with wood if you need to keep the windows open.

When the house dips into the low 60s and the weather says outside temps will be staying down for a while. Otherwise I just turn on oil or gas for a little bit

Reactions: wetwood4life
In SE CT- first fire anywhere between early to late Oct. but it’s sporadic use until about mid November and it pretty regular use from then until April ish.

In my house that happens when the wife starts saying, “I’m cold!”
Ditto. I'm relatively comfortable in anything between 45F and 85F, I just change my clothes to suit. But to my wife, anything over 76F is "roasting", and anything under 74F is "freezing". :rolleyes: Her idea of "roughing it" is slow room service.

For me, it depends on outside temps. Usually below 40 - 45F at night is the starting point. Depends on wind chill, rain/snow, etc.

There have been nights when I've had the window AC's in, and still started a small fire for the night, both spring & fall. The AC's are coming out this weekend.

You have to learn your stove and how it heats your house. It's a learning curve for sure.

Reactions: dafattkidd
Western PA here.
Small test fire about this time of year, then probably some in mornings where the day time high won't get t0 40F or so. Heat pump takes care of everything above that.

I have shifted to waiting until we can burn 24/7. We didn't fire up until late October last year. The heat pump easily carried the shoulder season load and was more cost-effective.
I’m going to look into the heat pump, because it’s talked bout a lot on here

Then tell us when you usually get cold.
Depends on temps and humidity. Its odd cause during summer I want it 68-70 or im sweating and thats with the AC running so pulling humidity out of the air but in the winter I keep the same room at 72 - 75. If i get home and its 68 its cold and I run the stove.

That said its hard to say when I start. Ussually in october sometime. lol.

In my house that happens when the wife starts saying, “I’m cold!”
Same here!

We're a little colder on average than the city, but not as cold as the folks farther inland, so usually it is the beginning of October or thereabouts.

I tend to burn Biobricks for early season, light a morning fire that takes the edge off, but let it dwindle as the house warms up during the day.