When is best time of season to take down a big tree?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tickbitty

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 21, 2008
VA
I have a large dying maple tree next to my house, in Tidewater VA. It needs to come down, and I have gotten a few quotes to have it taken down. Right now there are no leaves, but I was wondering whether now is the optimum time to take the tree down or whether it will be OK to do it any time before early spring when it buds out. As in, is the sap or whatever on it's way up or down the tree and when would be the best time to make it optimum for the cutting. We were hoping to get the pros to take it down and buck it up and then we can split and stack it to get it seasoning for next year.

ARGH, Edited to add, I now see there is a whole thread on this subject. I will go read it. SOrry!

That's okay, I'll answer anyway. Best time is now. For sure before March 1.

yesterday

And when the wind isn't blowing! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.