When is it OK to burn again in Nor Cal

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ColdNorCal

Feeling the Heat
Mar 6, 2018
Newcastle, Ca.
Night time temps have dropped and inside the house this morning is 64 degrees. Current outdoor temp is 42. I have several seasoned cords ready to burn this season. Given all the fires and power outages in Nor Cal, when would you light up the stove?

Here in ElDorado County, I have heard of no restrictions to burning in a wood stove. Unless the high priest of PG&E or your Counties environmental monitoring department contradicts, it seems proper to allow to heat your home....

Reactions: ColdNorCal
I called a neighbor this morning and he said he started burning.

Not to get geographically political, but if I had to choose on restarting the stove, I’d pick another state and any time I chose.

Hard to believe what’s happening in California. Wish you well. I’m sure it’s beautiful there. And probably pretty quiet when electricity is gone too :eek:

I would wait until weather pattern changed. If for some reason you happened to cause a wildfire.....it would no doubt follow you for rest of your life. Im glad i dont have this problem here but sorry for you.

Not to get geographically political, but if I had to choose on restarting the stove, I’d pick another state and any time I chose.

Hard to believe what’s happening in California. Wish you well. I’m sure it’s beautiful there. And probably pretty quiet when electricity is gone too :eek:

Generators are cheap ;)

My concern about restarting the stove is of personal choice and concern. I know their is no law prohibiting burning the wood stove. Just not sure if its in good judgement. This is only the 2nd season of using it and want to be safe and careful.

I would wait until weather pattern changed. If for some reason you happened to cause a wildfire.....it would no doubt follow you for rest of your life. Im glad i dont have this problem here but sorry for you.

Dont feel sorry for me. Their is no other place in the US I'd rather "live". In fact, their are only a few places in the world I'd rather "live". That being said, traveling 3-5 months a year all over the world is my 2nd home. :)

Dont feel sorry for me. Their is no other place in the US I'd rather "live". In fact, their are only a few places in the world I'd rather "live". That being said, traveling 3-5 months a year all over the world is my 2nd home. :)

Well i feel sorry for your situation. I would hate to have a stove and have to worry about using it....and the worry is warranted. I have family in ca. Beautiful country in that state. And i suspect most of people wouldnt want to live anywhere other than their current state or they would.....move lol.

Yeah, Instead of the Tick fire, it might be called the ColdNorCal fire. I guess the Tick's had a fire too early or did not take the right precautions, :p

Reactions: 2fireplacesinSC