When the Vigilant II get EPA approved for wood use?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So he coppied the new Defiant specs and figured they applied to a Vigilant

This could be a good find for you if the price is right

You're not kidding. Doubt it will happen though, I can't eveer seem to get a good deal on this sort of thing. My eyes will of course be on it

This would be the time of the year to get a bargin. Scranton is not too far away for you. plus advertised wrong
might lead to a bargin. Sure looks like one of those shaker grates coal deals. First time seller so your time could be now

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean Dylan. I'm hoping this year, that with a new stove, with the capability of burning MORE coal and also cleanly burning wood, I'll be able to push towards burning lots more wood and less coal.

Over the past two years, we've burned 3 tons of coal per winter at $140 per ton. If we could simply burn free and scrounged wood and only use 1.5 tons per winter we could literally cut our energy bill in half. Which is quite appealing because I'm suuuuuuuuure coal will not be $140 a ton this year.

Well the guy (or girl for that matter) sent me a message back saying that:

On the lid of the stove it says the stove is certified to burn wood, coal and WOOD PELLETS!

Oh boy........

Corie said:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6050911711

Hrmmmm, me thinks someone is misleading potential buyers. Don't worry, I already sent him a message about it.

When these were first built, they were approved as wood/coal units. Therefore, if this unit is labeled as such, it is grandfathered. Of course, the same stove is now sold as "coal only" and there is no difference in the construction.

Then there are those who say that you have to start a coal stove with wood, and exactly how long they take to start it could be none of the business of the EPA! :p

Dylan said:
Obviously, "certified" is the operative word. Without a doubt, it will BURN wood pellets....it's just up to you to do the feeding.
When did VC begin to offer the Vigilant in enamelled finish??

You got it right!

I spent hours trying to explain to customers that just because the Buck stove dealer said the stove would burn for 24 hours does not mean it will put any heat out!

Or just because a stove said it would burn coal does not mean it reallly will (you could burn coal in a campfire too, but not with the intended success of heating your home)....

Enamel started early in the game....almost as soon as VC built their own foundry. I would date the first enameled stoves to 1983 or so, possibly a year or two earlier.

$100 more and the winning bidder could have bought a new one?

Status
Not open for further replies.