When to get a new file for sharpening

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mcdougy

Minister of Fire
Apr 15, 2014
ontario
When does a round file need replacing for sharpening your chain? I have no idea what to expect for an answer. I change mine out, but maybe a could be using them longer or maybe I'm using one for far too long?

Reactions: thewoodlands
Well the blunt answer is: Replace it when it quits cutting. When you quit getting shavings it’s done. If it slides thru the tooth rather easily with no material removed either the file is junk or the cutter is super hard.

Well the blunt answer is: Replace it when it quits cutting. When you quit getting shavings it’s done. If it slides thru the tooth rather easily with no material removed either the file is junk or the cutter is super hard.

I'm not an expert on this either. And, I'm cheap. But I can "feel" when a round file is getting wore out, ESPECIALLY when I'm using my Pferd/Stihl 2 in 1 file.

When it's clean, but stops biting, it goes in the scrap pile. I can both hear, and feel when they get worn. I'm usually stroking 4-6 strokes to keep a chain sharp. More if it's rocked. But when it takes a bunch more, and doesn't feel bitey, I put it in the scrap dumpster.

I'm not an expert on this either. And, I'm cheap. But I can "feel" when a round file is getting wore out, ESPECIALLY when I'm using my Pferd/Stihl 2 in 1 file.

When it's clean, but stops biting, it goes in the scrap pile. I can both hear, and feel when they get worn. I'm usually stroking 4-6 strokes to keep a chain sharp. More if it's rocked. But when it takes a bunch more, and doesn't feel bitey, I put it in the scrap dumpster.
Find a budding knife maker he may be interested in your old files...

Reactions: DodgyNomad